Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car survived near death only to be hit by a retread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:25 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I think it's time for a fiberglass nosepanel, bumper, and hood from IFC.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this won't help much, but a similar thing happened to me in my daily driver. I actually only had the car for about 3 days, and a mud flap from a semi truck (Not just the all-rubber one either, the one with the huge stainless steel plate on it), hit the headlight, grill, and hood. The same thing happened, the vehicle in front of me drove over it, and it then became airborne right in front of me, and I had no where to go.

I feel your pain, It's much worse when things like this happen in the 944. While Mines been sitting at my parents house waiting for the new exhaust to be installed, somehow a ladder got knocked over, and ripped the bumper, right by the passenger side marker. It put a gash about a 1/4 inch deep, and about 5-6" long. All you can do is fix it, and move on. It sucks... but just think - it'll be nicer once it's done..

-Matt
Old 12-11-2008, 11:47 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

That sucks. I think retreads should be outlawed. I ran over one in a similar situation, and it bent up some minor parts underneath.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:47 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Lol, I was thinking the same thing. I am sure with a little footwork you can get the paint figured out. Don't sweat it, take your time to fix it
Old 12-11-2008, 11:48 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow that was some damage from a retread.

I got hit with one once too and it took out the rubber plug that covers the tow-hook thread and created a minor crack on one of my turn signal lenses.

Good luck with your decision to repair or replace.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:08 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithr726
If anything, now would be a good time for driving lights.
Unfortunately the smashed lights in the picture were my driving/euro lights.

Originally Posted by Josh B
Colin - Man that makes me sick. Really sucks! Hopefully you could find someone parting a white turbo and just bolt the parts right on without worrying about paint....
It would definately be nice, I guess I am lucky that it was just parts that can be unbolted and swapped pretty easily. If you run across anything please let me know.

Originally Posted by 75ohm
So sorry man... damn.

I know you... you will fix this and it will be better than before.

This is for the love of car... and as a labor of love, you will do it.

I'm there with you in spirit...
Your right, I am sure once I get over this I will eventually get around to making it great again. My only hope is being able to find a shop willing to paint it the way it was originally.

Originally Posted by Tom R.
i know exactly how you feel. it is just a car, life is too short and all that stuff, but man it pisses me off knowing my once virgin prom queen 89 951 is neither a virgin or prom queen any more.

the bumper is $1,328.47. Ask me how i know!!

the single stage bit bugs me as much as it bugs you. i fixed the rust on my S2 myself because i couldnt find a shop that would paint the car the way i wanted it painted. i was pissed. i didnt want clear on a car that didnt have clear. "we will blend it, you wont see it" was the answer i got. the problem is the intensity of the color etc. it is very frustrating. good luck, and i hear ya.
Tom, your car was probably one of the first thoughts that went through my head after this happened because I was feeling the same thing you were. I have heard the same things as you when it comes to repainting anything. All they want to say is that they will blend with clear etc., and that whatever product they are using is just as good as the original stuff. I will gladly transport the car anywhere to find someone who is willing to do it correctly and how I want.

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I will replace everything with new factory panels unless I find some original alpine pieces. If I could find a turbo cup hood then I would install that, but it doesn't look good so far for sourcing one.

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Lol, I was thinking the same thing. I am sure with a little footwork you can get the paint figured out. Don't sweat it, take your time to fix it
Yes, this will definately be a long process to get it done right. It might be a little shorter depending on when you ****** the cup hood for me.

For everyone that mentioned it could have been worse, your absolutely right. Everyone who has seen it says they are surprised it didn't come through the windshield or cause more damage. There is actually a big scuff mark on the windshield where the retread hit and flipped over the car.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:14 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by potent951turbo

Yes, this will definately be a long process to get it done right. It might be a little shorter depending on when you ****** the cup hood for me.
Lol, but if I ****** the cup hood, someone is going to have to get it from steal it from me. And that wont be easy
Old 12-11-2008, 12:16 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
I will gladly transport the car anywhere to find someone who is willing to do it correctly and how I want.
There's a shop here in Charlotte where I took my car when I got hit by an idiot driver. The fender was repaired and repainted. Aside from being a flawless finish (unlike the rest of the car) the color matches perfectly and you can't tell the repair was made.

I forget the name right but if you're interested let me know and I'll find it. I also mentioned in on a thread a couple of years ago when the damage took place.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man thats rough having something occur like that once, and then again a week later!

And, not sure if someone already called it but, I'll be happy to take that front bumper and nose panel and repair them well enough for track use...
Old 12-11-2008, 01:15 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to my friend and his prized sports car. Not even a month ago. Full sized piece of retread was kicked up by a truck right in front of him. Cracked his carbon hood, trashed the bumper and his headlight. Then to top things off, he hit a possum a few weeks later and tore a chunk out of the passenger side of the same bumper. But its okay, because he's getting a new bumper painted and intstalled. Still crappy luck.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Wow, sorry, man. It's been a tough year for 944/951s
Old 12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Collin,

This same thing happened to another car of mine last year. A wheel with the tire attached was bouncing around on I95 and came over the car in front of me and bounced and hit the front of my car and tore the front bumper off. It than went under the car and did not do any more damage believe it or not. The good news was it was covered by my insurance in total without the deductible applying.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:13 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't let it sit in the garage! Put a bra on the front temporarily and keep driving it until you figure out a permanent fix. Sorry to hear about this...

Quick Reply: My car survived near death only to be hit by a retread...