Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual operation of sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002 | 02:41 PM
Alex951
AutoX

Unhappy Manual operation of sunroof

Can the rear sunroof latches be raised manually on the old style sunroofs? My car is an early 86 951. I have read from others that the white box in the center between the two latches cannot be opened. I have very frustratingly verified this. What can I do to lock the roof? The latches are stuck down right now (roof unattached). I can't take it to the track otherwise.
Old 06-05-2002 | 03:24 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Is your roof electric? If so:

I am not sure what you a referring to when you metion the "white box." My info may, or may not help, so I'll apologize in advance.

My roof quit working a couple of years back. I found that the long center piece in the center (front) of the sunroof catches the piece on the car. When the top is on, all I have to do is push the center piece up into the "box" that it touches in the car. In your case, I guess you can put the top on and hold the button while you push up on the center piece. The ignition will have to be in the position for unlocking or raising the roof, whichever you are after.

After reading this, it may be more confusing than it looks. It's hard to explain. Anyone better at describing this?

Michelle

85.5 944
Old 06-05-2002 | 04:39 PM
gilles
1st Gear

Hi,

I seem to encounter the same problems as Alex. I opened the roof upholstery to look at the pins holding the roof(the two pins that move the roof open and closed)everything seemed to be OK there. The wite box Alex mentioned is behind the roof upholstery and is a switschbox for operating the two roofpins. I was able to open this box, but opening the box was useless, since everything was OK inside. The bars couldn't be moved manually because of the torque needed to turn the electric engine in the trunk.

When I opened the upholstery in the trunck to view the electric engine no problems were detected there. When I tried to manually close the two pins(as indicated in the iowners manual) it took a lot of torque on my screwdriver to move the two pins just 5mm. I haven't been able to test the motor but all other electrics work fine and all fuses are intact. I didn't find an electrical scheme for the electrically operated roof in my 924 work manual. Maybe I have to look for it in a 944 manual since most 924's were fitted with a manual roof

The box in the middle of the roof before the removable top works fine also. As long as the button isn't touched the buzzer gives no sound(as it should) the moment you touch the button (by hand or by the roofpannel) while driving the buzzer goes off.

I have no idea what causes the problem, but I would also be very thankfull if anybody could help me out with this one...

Peter
Old 06-05-2002 | 05:40 PM
Franco44
Instructor

Alex,

Similar prob. with mine when I bought it. Go to the drivers side rear quarter panel area, pull up the trunk carpet and expose the motor. I think I used a hex head socket to move the pins up. This will take some effort. Put the roof back in position and lower the roof until it seats as flat with the roof as possible. If you pull the pins in too far it will disengage and the rear of the roof will bob up and down in the wind (the way I drove mine home when I bought my car). The at least you have some time to isolate the problem and repair.

Good Luck!!

Frank
Old 06-05-2002 | 07:15 PM
Alex951
AutoX

Gilles, how did you get that white box open?? I tried checking the motor and couldn't lock the roof manually. I removed the adjusting screw and found the bushing destroyed. The motor sounds as though its working fine, I think my problem is in that white box. I don't know what is the problem on yours. Sounds like you have checked everything. Updating our systems to the more modern style seems to be a very difficult job, has anyone tackled this?
Old 06-06-2002 | 11:12 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

My left arm works fine, but the right arm doesn't. The "power" going into the white transfer box isn't being transfered to the right arm...That box is friggin sealed shut. If it gets opened, it'll have to be sealed with Krazy Glue...

My sunroof is similarly hanging loose. It's not really a problem unless you want to race or someone trying to break into your car figures it out. One idea was to attach a leather strap to the upholstery on the roof, or have some kinda of arm/latch device. Like, a little hook on the roof that holds onto an arm that twists in that's attached to the ceiling. Hard to decribe, but your standard hold-this-door-shut latch mechanism.

Quick Reply: Manual operation of sunroof