Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix squeeling brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 05:12 PM
mmmbeer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How to fix squeeling brakes?

We have recently replaced the brakes on the car and the front brakes keep squeeling. We have with and without tried brake pasta, turned the pads (that helped a lot). But the front right brake is still squeeling during slow stops.

Is there anything else I could try. The brakes are OEM 996 GT3 and have a damping plate attached to the pad.

Eirik Kvello-Aune
<a href="http://www.diateam.no/porsche" target="_blank">www.diateam.no/porsche</a>
Old 05-16-2002, 05:21 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have KFP intermediate track pads on my car, and the squeeling is inevitable with my pads.

Sounds like you have a pad similar to mine in stopping power: you may have to live with it. BUT: if you take your car on the track, the noise they produce is a small price to pay for the performance! With my brakes, I can practically stand my car up on it's nose!

-Z.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:02 AM
mmmbeer
Racer

The pads are OEM 996 GT3. It sounds a bit weird that they should squeel unevitably.

Eirik Kvello-Aune
<a href="http://www.diateam.no/porsche" target="_blank">www.diateam.no/porsche</a>
Old 05-17-2002, 10:14 AM
Gary
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by mmmbeer:
<strong>The pads are OEM 996 GT3. It sounds a bit weird that they should squeel unevitably.

Eirik Kvello-Aune
<a href="http://www.diateam.no/porsche" target="_blank">www.diateam.no/porsche</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

I've used many types of pads on many types of cars and never have squealing - I just smear a layer of "CopperEase" (basically a copper grease) on the backs of each pad and presto. Hasn't failed me yet in 15 years, several Porsches, many more BMW's, Fords, Lancia's, VW's etc.

Hope this helps
Old 05-17-2002, 12:18 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Gary, is right the squealing is from the back of the pad not the part contacting the rotor.. THis is a huge misconception on many peoples part.. There is no material on the rotor side to squeal. the metal to metal side is what squeals..
Old 05-17-2002, 12:32 PM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Second Cary & Billybones.
Squeeling is often caused by blocks not realy capable of sliding back in the caliper.
Remedy I used over the last 15 years is:
- clean out the caliper in the "pad contact areas" (down to clean metal)
- clean - remove any paint on the pad edges (the steel backing plate OF THE PAD that is in contact with the caliper)
- dont touch the surface that is actually in contact with the piston.The paint is dampening the vibrations
The pad should move real easy without any force in the caliper.
I have never had to use the coper-paste / anti-seize compound trick

mmmbeer: visited your site, you have a lot of "blood sweat&tears" in that machine.
You also have the Brembo brakes so you dont have to worry about the floating piston caliper guides.
They should be cleaned as well.
TakeCare
Old 05-17-2002, 06:03 PM
mmmbeer
Racer

Thanks guys.
I have already tried brake paste, that did no good. So i followed Hans advise, I cleaned and cleaned. The result was excellent, no squeeling. I assume the brake paste did more harm than good.

Eirik Kvello-Aune

Quick Reply: How to fix squeeling brakes?