Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003 | 12:51 PM
Conor
Burning Brakes

Post AC Compressor Trouble

I was planning on converting my AC today to 134, with a generic kit, but I realized that my compressor wasn't engaging, so I thought that might be my problem. With the ac full on the pulley spins put the compressor won't. I assume this is the clutch. Can I fix that or is it time for a new compressor, also, could adding more freon help, or will that not affect how that compressor engages.

TIA

Conor
Old 06-25-2003 | 01:21 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Check the ground to the clutch. Do a voltage drop from the battery to the clutch, it should be no less than a 2 volt drop. If the drop is greater, the clutch is not getting any power. Once you have established if the clutch is getting power-you can fix it or move on. If it is getting power, then it is not getting a signal from the dashboard control-check it. If it is not getting power/or low power-get a wiring diagram.

Freon has nothing to do with how the clutch engages. As long as the compressor is not locked up you can replace the clutch-but I don't see a part number listed for it in my catalog.

If all else fails, or to get the wiring diagram call the Four Seasons Tech Help Line-it's free.
Old 06-25-2003 | 01:37 PM
GrantC
Rennlist Member

Hi Conor -

Also very likely is just that your Freon is low. The system protects itself by not turning the compressor on if the Freon is low. The reason is that with low Freon the compressor will not be properly lubricated and will self-destruct.

Last summer my compressor would not kick in and this was the problem. The original compressor had a big seal leak so all the freon had leaked out. I replaced the compressor, replaced the drier (always do this if you switch to R134A), had a shop charge it with R134A, and everything worked great. Now it is getting very hot again (90's this week) but it blows very cold and keeps up.

Good luck -
Old 06-25-2003 | 01:38 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Before you can convert the system to R-134 you need to vent off any existing R-12, replace the reciever/dryer, drain any remaining R-12 compressor oil, and evacuate the system to a vacuum.

From the sound of your original post I highly recommend getting some help from a knowledgable A/C technician. Although the system looks fairly simple, there are some pit falls just waiting to get you.
Old 06-25-2003 | 02:44 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Check for 12V at your compressor clutch. If it is getting the power, then the clutch is the problem. More likely, it is the low pressure switch. Power goes from the AC controller (amplifier) through the low pressure switch to the clutch. If you are getting +12V to one side of the low pressure switch but not the other, your system pressure is low and keeping your compressor clutch from engaging.
Old 06-25-2003 | 03:02 PM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

I am having that same problem, and reading the last post about the low pressure switch, set off a light in my head. I had to uplug that switch in order to charge a sytem in a vehicle a long time ago. Can I do the same here? Unplug the switch and let it charge? If so, where is it?

Thanks..

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Trouble