Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace the clutch fork?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 06:36 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I don't understand in this entire thread is.....drum roll please....

IF the trans and exhaust is off, why not finish yourself, especially if you had already bought the clutch and replacement torque tube...

You had a heck of a time getting the torque tube to separate from the trans in the first place, and already bought most of the needed replacement parts yourself....

The shop is not lying, It sound to me he is trying to prepare you for the worst possible case scenario, they sound to me to be offering you a straight story especially given the state the car was brought to them in...

If I am doing the job myself, I start and finish it myself, If I am taking it to a shop I take it in and leave it there until it is right, and if I get killed by the cost... I think to myself I could have done it myself and spent less money, but not had the use of the car for a longer amount of time.... it is a trade off we all make....

If it is in the shop because you cannot do the work yourself, ask yourself if you are willing in 3 months to be spending another $1200 to remove the trans, torque tube, and everything else just to replace a clutch fork you could have replaced when it was all pulled apart in the first place....
Old 11-15-2008, 06:40 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't let him screw you. NA clutch forks last a long long time. They take less stress than the 951 fork because the 944 pressure plate is softer than the 951's. Also, the NA fork is thicker than the 951 fork. So the stories of 951 forks failing don't really apply here.

BMW ref sensors work, like Steve said. $60 a piece FTW.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:54 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have seen many clutch forks break. If there is grooving of the fork ends, then replace it. If you don't and it breaks, you will be very unhappy to have to go back in there to get it replaced. If you think the fork will last another 75k miles of clutch use, then by all means take the chance. I replaced probably 6 broken clutch forks last year, on turbos, S2's, and 8V NA's. Like everyone says, use the BMW sensors. The porsche sensors are a rip off.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guys the car is running and driving right now so i'm happy this is all over.

now I just have to replace a bad control arm and when I have some money again replace my timing belt as it's almost 3 years old now.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

forgot to mention he said my clutch fork looked okay so he kept it and sensors didnt' break.

still total cost was 1600 including tax so decent I guess.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good. And is the TT noisy?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:45 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 110 Posts

Wow you are actually on the road again. Congrats. I think at one point many people here thought it would never move again, including myself. Glad to hear the shop was fair to you also. Now get that control fixed and you are gold.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:20 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Congratulations, sounds like a fair price for that work. I am pulling my car apart agin because the RMS is leaking badly. Of curse I could have done it when I replaced the clutch last year but oh no it was ok then. I swear this car is Gods way of telling me something. I can't wait to get rid of it in the spring so I can finally start the Chimera project.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, I've known this shop for a long time, and they are very reasonable and fair, and competant. Tim's only other choice would be to go somewhere where the techs are not familiar with the car, and wind of breaking more things and taking longer and costing even more, even though the hourly rates are less. (been there, done that)

Tim is exactly the kind of customer that a shop like this hates to have, (cheap cheap cheap) and I was doing Tim a favour by personally asking the owner to help him out, because they very well could have just told him to **** right off. I'm not saying Tim isn't a nice guy, but from a shop's perspective, it's so frustrating to have a customer that needs work done, and from experience you are trying to tell him that this and that ALSO should be done now, while it makes sense, only to have him say no, I can't afford it... etc etc.

I had a clutch job done 5 years ago, but couldn't afford the extra $450 for a clutch fork. Guess what, 2 years later the clutch fork broke.

It's a 25 year old car - bits and pieces are going to break and theres nothing you can do about it, and hello, it's a Porsche, parts are not cheap. BUT, it's a Porsche, and it's fast and drives like heaven.

If you can't afford it, sell it and buy a honda civic.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:34 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

lol, yeah the shop repaired it for a reasonable price (reasonable for a porsche) so I'm happy with the repair.

he said my clutch fork looked okay so I kept it.

I love this car when it's driving but when **** like this happens I keep on telling myself that i'm goign to just get rid of it and get something more practical that you can go to lordco and buy parts for and have any mechanic shop fix it.

now i'm just going to cross my fingers and hope nothing major blows up anytime soon.

A control arm isn't a big deal, I might order in a brand new one from paragon in the future to be safe. I probably also need new shocks struts, bushings, tie rods to make my suspension and steering safer.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:37 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Does this repair come with a large size jar of Vaseline? The worst that could happen to your clutch fork is it's worn on the tips, they don't crack they fail completely. A used one is less than $40. The reference sensors can be sourced from BMW (bit longer than a 944) for less than $60/ea. if he breaks them and it sounds like he will for sure if he's charging $175/ea. What hardware comes to $150 unless you are missing all your bolts from the PP back? If your car wasn't already there I would find someone more familiar with 944's. Is he replacing the rear main seal, pilot bearing, clutch fork bearings, guide tube and PP bolts...if not run Forrest run. Sorry to be the prophet of doom but your prognosis doesn't sound encouraging at all.
thanks. honestly I did not think I would see this car on the road for a long time.

it still took me 2 months to fix it since it broke down.

the shop told me the torque tube I provided was bad but I don't hear anymore noise or noises than before. However I put a lot of sound deading on the floors and and around where the torque tube is last year after I stripped my interior so maybe that is cutting down on interior noise. oustide the car I don't hear any disturbing sounds other than my belts whining like always.

Quick Reply: Should I replace the clutch fork?