Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird no shut-off problem back...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003 | 12:00 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Angry Weird no shut-off problem back...

When I went to turn my car off today, it didn't. I had to stall it out. When I did that, as it normally should, the two idiot lights stayed lit. I happened to hit a wire with my foot as I was about to get out, and the lights flicked off. Moved my foot around a little more, and the lights (and I think some relays, heard clicking) went in and out a few times. I found the wire, and it's one that goes to the stereo.

How in the hell would this wire being bad cause the engine to not shut off? I don't see how it could do this, unless it was short-circuiting or something, but even then I don't see how...

Also, it shut off fine when I came home and parked.
Old 06-25-2003 | 12:32 AM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Your radio is fed with two wires, one with +12v continous, the other is supposed to be from the accessory feed but yours must be wired to the ign, sounds like a redneck installation if you can touch wires with your feet or even see wiring, if these wires connect together it will keep the ign live, rewire it as they cannot be fused as the ign current is in the range of 10 amps. Fix it or carry an extinguisher.
Old 06-25-2003 | 12:34 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Martin:
<strong>Your radio is fed with two wires, one with +12v continous, the other is supposed to be from the accessory feed but yours must be wired to the ign, sounds like a redneck installation if you can touch wires with your feet or even see wiring, if these wires connect together it will keep the ign live, rewire it as they cannot be fused as the ign current is in the range of 10 amps. Fix it or carry an extinguisher.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Ok, how would I go about re-wiring it? Oh, and it was definitely a terrible installation by the PO. You should have seen the mess when I pulled the old radio out to put mine in...ewwwww
Old 06-25-2003 | 12:31 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

anyone know how I'd rewire this?
Old 06-25-2003 | 12:43 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

Yeah.

First you start with two cases of beer and a lot of wire.....

This will get you through day 1.

It's a rough job man. Identify the problems and fix them. Use quality connectors and wires. Be extremly anally neat as well. Save you headaches in the future.
Old 06-25-2003 | 12:54 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

All right, I have about 5 ft of wire in the garage and I can't stand beer...so it looks like I'm screwed. I still have no idea where to begin or where this wire goes to. IIRC, it goes straight into the fuse box right now.
Old 06-26-2003 | 12:37 AM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

All the correct wires should be there in the harness behind the radio, rip out all other wiring and throw it away, you need a permanant feed for the memory and power wire, and a switched feed to turn the radio on, this should go on when the key is placed in the ign and not turned, the colours will be in haynes or similar.
Old 06-26-2003 | 12:40 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Ok, I figured out more this morning looking at it. The radio wire got pulled out a little, so there was some exposed wire. Also, there was the wire that wasn't connected to anything that could touch the exposed radio wire. That's what was causing it to bypass. I have no idea what the other wire is for though. It's pale-green, and has one of those thin, flat connectors, kinda like the prong on a plug, but it isn't connected to anything.

Quick Reply: Weird no shut-off problem back...