Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KLA Industries New product-ADJ Rear Shock plus more.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 01:20 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW they sound amazing!!
btw, no to nitpick or anything, the title of the rear shock page is "944 strut brace", might wanna fix that
Old 06-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Tabor
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by slevy951:
<strong>I completely hear what you're saying. But I think we have 2 significant advantages over Koni.....

1) Adjusting can be done with the car on the ground. The adj. **** is on the bottom by the lower mount point so it's easy to reach.

2) These are designed as rebuildable.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">One more thing:

These are double adjustable (bump and rebound). The koni units are only single adjustable.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They look like HAL QA1 shocks like Huntley offers, except they only appear to offer a kit for all four corners for something like $1800.00.

Those shocks are supposed to be pretty nifty snifty and for the dollars not such a bad deal.

When you offer the coilover package will the shocks be configured to run upside-down like Ledas or Konis?

Looks good so far, nice job.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:52 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Blue S2:
<strong>oops i meant front! I must have missed it in the spell checker!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Gotcha...now I understand. The car is a dynamic. Whatever you do front or rear will affect the other end.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:53 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by TarHeel 944S:
<strong>WOW they sound amazing!!
btw, no to nitpick or anything, the title of the rear shock page is "944 strut brace", might wanna fix that </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Oops. You found my template!!! Thx, I'll get it fixed.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:55 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 944togo:
<strong>Are you going to offer any for the earlier 944's? Also, is the price as already asked for both?

B/T/W, adjusting Koni Wellows only requires taking the bottom bolt out - you can then push up on the cylinder to engage the adjuster and turn it - still a pain though.

944togo</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Early is a different animal with the enclosed lower mount. To answer the question, not at this time.

Price is for the pair.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:00 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Manning:
<strong>They look like HAL QA1 shocks like Huntley offers, except they only appear to offer a kit for all four corners for something like $1800.00.

Those shocks are supposed to be pretty nifty snifty and for the dollars not such a bad deal.

When you offer the coilover package will the shocks be configured to run upside-down like Ledas or Konis?

Looks good so far, nice job.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Good eye....

Coil-overs will run upside-down. The reason we have to do that is so the spring can clear the body.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:14 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

One other thing I want to mention on these....

The adjustability is really phenomenal. On full soft, I can move them in/out fairly easily. On full stiff, they won't budge.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:56 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by TarHeel 944S:
<strong>WOW they sound amazing!!
btw, no to nitpick or anything, the title of the rear shock page is "944 strut brace", might wanna fix that </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Ian,

Just looked at it. It has the right title for me. Can you email me the link you were looking at??

Thx
Old 06-24-2003, 06:04 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Wow, looks like a very nice item. I do have to agree with some here that the pricing appears a little high; for me, the convenience it offers would not be worth multiples of the cost of Koni yellows. For the cost-is-no-object racer who is very sensitive to the settings, the cost may be justified. Regards Al
Old 06-24-2003, 07:52 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Go through the process to adjust the Koni Yellows for a track day just once and not only will you spend more, you'll trash the Koni Yellows, eat the cost and then buy these...
Old 06-25-2003, 12:17 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

That was pretty sneaky Scott. I also noticed the title on the status bar showed 944 strut brace as the page loaded earlier today. Now it's fixed.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:45 AM
Ken From KLA Industries
Instructor

Can I jump in on this thread? I hope to answer most of the open questions.

The shocks are aluminum bodied and are fully re-valveable and re-buildable. The rebuild kits are priced very competitive. The manufacturer of the shock is QA1 Motorsports. KLA Industries had badged these shocks because QA1 does not sell these shocks in a bolt on application. Due to our buying power we are able to offer this package at less than a person can buy standard shocks of this type from the Manufacturer. We have also engineered the mounting system.

We have spent almost a year looking at different shocks to find the best for the $. These shocks are 12 point adjustable with both the compression and rebound being adjusted from one point. They go from waterbed soft to solid steel rod hard. We spent a lot of time working with the technical department to get this shock set up for both the performance and weight of the 944. I have had a set on my 944s2 and love them.

These shocks were originally designed for sports car racing. They have a great track record for durability and longevity. These shock types have been successful of cars as heavy as 3800 lbs is a full race prep application. The shocks we are selling were set for the Porsche application.

This shock IS NOT for the person who wants to put them on select a soft setting and only drive in 5:00 traffic to and from work. This type of driving will not utilize the shocks adjustability. For this application I would recommend a different shock. This shock is for a person who wants to be able to make very accurate and quick adjustments to help make a car handle like it is on a rail. The advantage of this shock is its adjustability without having to take it off. The adjustment literally takes seconds to make. The adjuster is at the bottom of the shock and easily accessed by reaching under the car and turning the shock harder or softer. I like the thought of making quick adjustments so at a DE I can make several shock changes during a 15 minute driving session and still spend most of my time on the track. During a session the thing that takes the longest on the adjustment is getting in and out of the car. The same holds true for a Sunday afternoon autocross. Drive the car to the site with you street setting, reach under and stiffen the shock for the runs. Between each run you can change one or both of the settings to improve you times. At the end of the day reach under to adjust and drive home with the street setting again. Try that with other adjustable shocks. If you are like me, the last thing I want to do after a DE or autocross is to start taking my car apart so I can drive it home.

I hope this gives you a better idea as to what we are trying to achieve with this package.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:54 AM
elf89
Pro

On your "coming soon" list, NA front tow hook sounds interesting. Keep us posted!
Old 06-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, like Ken says, these shock are pretty popular with folks driving F-bodies and Mustangs on road courses. I imagine if they can handle the bloated load of American iron at speed, then they should be able to handle our cars without flinching.

Quick Reply: KLA Industries New product-ADJ Rear Shock plus more.....