Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1800 miles in 2 1/2 days! (NJ to CO)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 02:07 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts
Post 1800 miles in 2 1/2 days! (NJ to CO)

Hello everyone,

I wanted to fill everyone in on my near cross-country drive in my 1991 944 S2 Cario.

I planned to visit my parents in Colorado Springs, CO this summer but instead of usually flying I took the opportunity to drive to my destination. It just so happens that my father owns an auto shop and my car just finished passing over the 100k mark. So I can now perform all the necessary maintenance items and enjoy my car in beautiful Colorado.

Now back to the trip -- I left Hoboken, NJ at about 9:30pm on friday. I fortunately do travel pretty light but I was asked by relatives to bring certain items to my parents. That made packing everything into the car quite a challenge. Plus I was bringing a travel companion with me, my 60 pound chow mix! With some creative packing I was able to fit it all into the car's tight confines and was on my way.

I drove all the way to the border of Pennsylvania and Ohio that night and took a four hour nap at a rest stop. My dog woke me up by barking at someone who got a little to close to the car. The entire trip across Pennsylvania consisted of LOTS of rain. I have Pirelli P7000s on my car and I will definately continue using these tires - they performed flawlessly in the rain and kept the car under control when I could barely see the road.

The next day (after fours hours of sleep) I was on my way. Unbelievably I made it from Ohio to St Louis where I met up with some friends in about 12 hours. After about a two hour break I was on my way again - stopped at Kansas City for the night. Took me about an hour to find a hotel that accepts pets, thank you Motel 6. No thanks however to the couple across the courtyard that got drunk off Pabst and were screaming to each other at 3am. In case you are wondering, I was in Topeka, Kansas at this time.

The next morning, I was off to Colorado. Boy Kansas is a LONG state. When I hit Colorado the speed limits at 75, so bursts up to 90 were quite common. Aside from a little more wind noise, the car did very well.

So overall I am quite impressed by my vehicle. She held her composure in the rain, got pretty good gas mileage (haven't calculated but I was getting almost 300 miles per half tank), got a lot of attention along the way, and held me and my dog quite comfortably for a long period of time. (I put the passenger seat all the way back and layed it flat for the dog - he loved it)

My only complaint was that due to the crappy weather we've had in the Northeast, I had no idea my air-conditioner needed recharging. So when the temperature hit the 90s in Kansas, I was hurting. Once in Colorado and in the 80s it did much better - but I'm definately adding a recharge to my list of things to do.

As I mentioned before if there are any Rennlisters in Colorado (I'm in CO Springs) who'd like to get together - let me know. Also does anyone in the area have a timing belt tool that I can borrow?

Finally if you are reading this, Jason at Paragon thank you for getting my parts to me!

Quick Reply: 1800 miles in 2 1/2 days! (NJ to CO)