Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter? Noises

Old 11-02-2008, 02:01 PM
El Commandante
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter? Noises

So when I go to start my 86 NA, Sometimes I'll get a high pitched squeel, almost like a belt sqeal. And then sometimes as it starts and the starter disengages, i get an odd whirring noise. Sometimes i get no noise at all, both, or just one. Has anyone had a starter sound like this, or is it something else. I know my belts AC/ ALT. And PS belts are good since i recently replaced them, but if anything they are too tight. Could that be doing it?

Thanks
-Cole
Old 11-02-2008, 03:18 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by El Commandante
So when I go to start my 86 NA, Sometimes I'll get a high pitched squeel, almost like a belt sqeal. And then sometimes as it starts and the starter disengages, i get an odd whirring noise. Sometimes i get no noise at all, both, or just one. Has anyone had a starter sound like this, or is it something else. I know my belts AC/ ALT. And PS belts are good since i recently replaced them, but if anything they are too tight. Could that be doing it?
Based on your description, it might sound like the noises I was getting when my A/C clutch was on its way out.

Does your A/C work? Maybe turning it on (to lock the A/C clutch) will make the noise stop and you'll know if that's it or not.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:20 PM
El Commandante
Pro

My AC Mysteriously stopped working at about the same time this actually started... I push the button and my compressor doesn't kick on
Old 11-02-2008, 08:18 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes a starter can make those sounds; I had 2 that did. They're pretty easy to find used (less used than yours hopefully) and the install is pretty easy. Just be sure to unhook the battery or you will weld your wrench to the car.

AC is worth looking into; but I have no idea about the AC system. Mine never has worked and hasn't been important enough for me to look into yet.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:58 PM
El Commandante
Pro

Are Advanced auto starters a good idea with their warranty and all? I mean starters are easy enough to replace in these cars, so who cares if you have to replace i every year and a half as long as you keep getting a new one for free right?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:30 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Are Advanced auto starters a good idea with their warranty and all? I mean starters are easy enough to replace in these cars, so who cares if you have to replace i every year and a half as long as you keep getting a new one for free right?
You're right about being easy to change, but if you have a place the rebuild alternators and starters around you (I do) you may get it done cheaper (and likely better) there. Either way.....

But I'd look into the A/C thing - seems suspiciously like it might be related if they both stopped at the same time.

If you can reliably reproduce it, try pulling the AC/Alternator belt and see if you can make it happen - if not, you know it's one of the two, and likely the A/C.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Mrmerlin
Team Owner

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,238 Posts

have someone start the car while you listen under the hood you might find its a belt my guess is the alternator it has the highest drag at the lowest speed
Old 11-03-2008, 02:59 PM
mtccl
Instructor

I know my belts AC/ ALT. And PS belts are good since i recently replaced them, but if anything they are too tight. Could that be doing it?
Sounds self-induced.

Belts are probably not tight enough.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter? Noises