Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floating Gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 11:14 PM
Germanicus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Floating Gears

Any of you guys ever shifted without the clutch? Having driven big rigs for the better part of the last year, I got used to not using the clutch, or 'floating' the gears. As long as the rpm is correct, it's a snap. I tried it once with the Porsche, but they ground a bit and I didn't push it. I don't really feel like 'experimenting' with a 944 transmission!
Old 05-15-2002, 11:59 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow, don't do that. These aren't dirt bikes or big rigs.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:33 AM
Jonathan Martini
Instructor

Okay, having never driven a big rig I'll venture to ask the question:

Why would you float the gears anyway? I can't imagine anything to be gained other than being lazy and not having to clutch. Now considering the amount of gears some rigs have, laziness may be a great reason. Just curious.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:25 AM
doyle
Racer

No problem at all! If you apply light pressure on the shifter, as the revs come down, it will slide into gear with no problems. I used to work second shift and one night when I left work, I got in the car, stepped on the clutch pedal, and had the dreaded, drop to the floor, problem. I was able to drive the 30 miles home, get my brother, and then drive it another 30 miles to drop it at the shop.
Keep in mind that this was after midnight so traffic was light and I would not do this as recreation, but in a pinch, you can shift without the clutch with no problem. The toughest part in starting from a stop. You have to turn the car off as you come to a red light, put it in first gear, and when the light turns green, turn the key and step on the gas at the same time.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:22 PM
Germanicus
Advanced

[quote]Originally posted by Jonathan Martini:
<strong>Okay, having never driven a big rig I'll venture to ask the question:

Why would you float the gears anyway? I can't imagine anything to be gained other than being lazy and not having to clutch. Now considering the amount of gears some rigs have, laziness may be a great reason. Just curious.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 05-16-2002, 02:35 PM
Germanicus
Advanced

Basically, shifting without the clutch on a big rig, is a good way of avoiding a very swollen knee joint. These clutches have a great deal more resistance than a passenger car or light truck clutch. In driving school they teach you to shift by double clutching EVERY gear except the overdrive gears (only need to clutch once for those). You also DC when your'e dropping gears. Try imagine doing this in stop and go traffic for a couple of hours. Going from a stop to top gear in a 13 speed requires 20 clutching actions if done by the book! So yeah, it's basically preserving the body..

Quick Reply: Floating Gears