Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires locking up, rattle noise with turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 02:39 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Tires locking up, rattle noise with turbo

I just took the 951 out for a good 10 minutes of fun, I can't believe how well she handled it. At the end of the run, she just wanted more.

However, I noticed a few things that definately aren't right. (I had suspected something was awry, but now I'm sure). First, my front two tires seem to lock up awfully easy. The car stops fast, but if I give it a good amount of brake, the front tires will lock up first (no, I'm not just slamming the brakes, I'm easing into it with increasing pressure). I don't think I've ever had the rear brakes lock up. (You can see a lot more brake dust on the front rims, I don't think there was any on the rear.)

I know, I know, I'm gonna jack the car up and see what kind of suspension nightmare I bought into, but I don't mind throwing gobs of money at this car.. I just wish I had the gobs of money to throw ;-)

Now to get your minds off the suspension mystery, I've noticed a rattle that probably isn't anything, but it makes me afraid to drive the car with it. I was sitting in the driveway with the car idling and I wasn't able to duplicate the problem, so I think it has to be somewhat related to the turbo. (I didn't want to put the car under boost when it was just idling.. I don't know if thats good for it). So anyway, I notice the problem in pretty much any RPM range, but its different sounding at different RPMS. I only notice it when I get on the throttle and have the turbo spin up. At low RPMs it sounds like "chic-chic-chic" until it gets to about 3200-3500 RPMs and it sounds like a definately rattle, almost like something is loose and is vibrating against something in the exhaust system. It fades away once the car has built up enough boost, but I'm kind of frightened to take the car out when its rattling.

I wish I had some time off of work to take a look at the underside of the car and find out whats wrong with her, maybe I'll take a look after work tonight.

Does anyone know what might cause the rattle? I'm not too concerned about the brakes, I think there are new pads in the front, its the rattle that's got me concerned.

I love my car

Quick Reply: Tires locking up, rattle noise with turbo