Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real Quick Starter Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008 | 01:33 PM
shlby123
Track Day

Default Real Quick Starter Question

I know this is a brain dead question for some, but this being my first time to ever mess with a starter on my '84 944 na I wanted to be cautious about the re-installation. I noticed there are three wires to bolt back to the start when re-installing. My question is, Does the one smaller red wire go by itself bolted down and the larger red and black wires get bolted back down together on the other (larger) post on the starter? Please Please!
Old 10-29-2008 | 02:20 PM
jmd_forest
Advanced

The starter SOLENOID should have three posts: 2 "big" and 1 "little". All the wires attach to the solenoid posts. The little wire that comes from your ignition switch is attached to the "little" solenoid post. There is a short heavy wire from the starter motor that attaches to one of the "big" solenoid posts. The heavy wires from the battery/alternator attach to the other "big" solenoid post.

jmd_forest
Old 10-29-2008 | 02:43 PM
shlby123
Track Day

That's odd, I only seem to have the two that come from the battery/alternator and then the small wire from the ignition switch. This other wire you're talking about come from the starter itself, or from the car?
Old 10-29-2008 | 02:58 PM
jmd_forest
Advanced

I'll assume your starter is dissembled into 2 pieces, the starter motor assembly, and the solenoid assembly. The starter motor assembly is the larger tube-like structure with the tapered nose with a gear inside. The solenoid assembly is the smaller tube-like structure where the wires attach and has a piston inside. Near the end of the starter motor assembly, opposite the tapered end, you should find a short, heavy wire about 2 inches long sticking out. This wire attaches to one of the "big" connectors of the solenoid assembly. This wire allows the electricity from the battery cable to flow into the starter motor when you turn the key. The battery/alternator wires attach to the other "big" connector on the solenoid assembly and the little wire from the ignition attaches to the little connector on the solenoid assembly. When you turn the ignition key, electricity flows through the little wire into the solenoid. The solenoid acts like a big relay and connects the battery/alternator wire to the wire that connects to the solenoid from the starter motor assembly. Electricity flows to the starter motor and the starter motor cranks over the engine.. Look really hard. I bet you'll find it all there somewhere.

jmd_forest

Quick Reply: Real Quick Starter Question