Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FWD and AWD AutoX Techniques?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 11:32 AM
PSUice944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post FWD and AWD AutoX Techniques?

As some of you may know, I sell VWs and Audis.

This evening I am going to DC to a "ride & drive" that is going to let me FLOG a W8 Passat (AWD) and a Jetta 200HP VR6!

As the subject implies... We are going to be doing this at Fed-Ex field, so an AutoX is most likely. Though I haven't autoXed my 944, I understand most of the car control and cornering premises involved.

What I don't know is what these cars may do at the limits! And I could use some tips if any of you have them...

Is this going to be an exercise in left foot braking?! I imagine that these will be Automatics with the tiptronic, so I can't have *that* much fun!
Old 05-15-2002, 01:07 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the opportunity to do a similar type event with my workplace: Mercedes Benz. It was fun flogging the new C-coupe around an autocross course! (But not as fun at hitting 100mph with the AMG cars (S55, E55, CLK55) through the bowl at the south end of Pocono raceway, but that's another story!)

A couple of suggestions:

If you are able, I suggest that you drop the pressure on the rear tires, and crank up the fronts. (5-8 psi difference should do: 40psi front, 34-35 rear). That should help with the understeer.

If you are allowed, turn OFF any stability control systems: while they keep the car on line during normal driving conditions, they will just bog down the momentum of the car in an autox environment. Make sure ABS is still on!

Regarding the various techniques of autox: there are many styles, and many opinions of how to go fast. Personally, I am a late braker: I try to carry as much momentum into a corner before hitting the brakes. This technique may with with a FWD/AWD car: as you get to your turning point, you can still be on the brakes a little (trail braking) to help induce oversteer, and getting the back end to step out a little. Just get back on the throttle as soon as the car's back is where you want it.

I did autox my wife's Subaru SVX with AWD once: that car was fast, but heavy. The best I could do was heave it around the corners. (Took 4th in class behind 3 cars with R-compound rubber). You may have to do the same with the Passat, esp. if it has AWD! If you are coming off a straight into a tight turn or slalom, the AWD system will do some interesting things that may upset the balance of the car: be ready to make quick and SMOOTH adjustments. (Key word: SMOOTH!)

Left foot braking: unless you've done this and are comfortable with it, it will probably slow you down more than anything.

Regarding the tiptronics: there is always a little delay between when you shift into another gear and when the gear actually changes: anticipate this and shift a little earlier than you think you should.

Don't be afraid to really flog the cars while you're out there: have fun with them! Remember: a squealling tire is a happy tire! Getting the car to slide a bit will help. Remember: "If the car feels like it's on rails, you're probably going too slow!"

Good luck: be sure to report back to us on your experience!
-Zoltan.
Old 05-17-2002, 01:18 PM
PSUice944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the insight!

Came in first in my "run group" of like 60 people at the end of the day!

Had quite a blast, those W8s are impressive, it's only real contender there was a BMW 330xi. Most amazing was how dissappointing the Jaguar X-type was.

Thanks again,

Quick Reply: FWD and AWD AutoX Techniques?