Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension problem after hitting an unavoidable pothole on the freeway at 70 mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002 | 03:04 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Post suspension problem after hitting an unavoidable pothole on the freeway at 70 mph

NOTE: CAR YEAR IS 1984

ok I went over a pothole on the way home fromwork on May 4th (I hit it pretty bad) that was ALL the way across the southbound 805 freeway....and now the car does this:

1. as you turn the wheel right to turn right, a rubbing sound occurs for 1/2 second.

2. The rubbing sounds ranges from a squeak to a thunk.

3. It ONLY happens as I start to turn right...but I never repeats again until i straighten the wheel and turn again and it DOES NOT happen when i turn LEFT.

4. It occurs at a slight turn about 1/8 way of turning the wheel all the way right completely.

5. It seems to get louder as each day goes by of driving the car and for some reason it happens more when its warm.

I checked underneath the car and did the bounce test seeing that it comes from the rear, the CV axles check out but the car has a rebound indicating the from the exterior but could they have been damaged inside??? I checked the rear shocks and there is a rebound indicating they are soft. But they were like that before it. COuld it be i may have bent the right rear shock and it makes that sound as it contracts while pressure is being put on the left side. Could this also be relating to a damaged balljoint!?!?! I just read this link: <a href="http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faqca.html" target="_blank">http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faqca.html</a> and it sounds like it is...but I don't know... Also the sound only happens at speeds between 5-25 mph.

Any suggestions I'd much appreciate. I'd like to know whats wrong so i can fix it IMMEDIATELY Thank you
Old 05-15-2002 | 11:41 AM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 05-15-2002 | 11:54 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

What wheel got the pothole?
Old 05-15-2002 | 12:46 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

all of them...

But after driving to school today I have found this out and it will add a little more detail the description of the problem:

-on the way to school today i heard the same sound while turning right coming from the REAR of the car. it appears to originate on the drivers side.

-Aftermarket Dynomax muffler is also loose which pertains to a rattling and clanking noise on take off and downshift into second gear.

-Emergency brake does not hold good enough and I have to pull it all the way up so maybe the cable needs adjusting.

There is no noise whatsoever up front. It seems that everything is coming from the back...hopefully its just a cracked bushing or worn shock absorbers....
Old 05-15-2002 | 03:19 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Do you have a rear swaybar? If so check your sway bar mounts and your parking brake shoes...maybe something got knocked loose.
Old 05-16-2002 | 04:51 AM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

PorscheG96, I think while I'm down there I'll check out the shocks too, cuz the suspension is bottoming on the rear of the car. I gotta quote already for KYBs all the way around ($168). But I'm hoping that whatever the sound is, that its only minor.
Old 05-17-2002 | 01:49 AM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: The noise still continues in the rear only when turning right.

However, I have ruled out all other rear suspension problems and i am concentrating on improper shock absorber movement or even bad constant velocity joints. Only 1 CV Joint was repaired on this car and that was prior to the ring and pinion snapping (which made the car jerk hard and the right tire spin while i was turning right). I am hoping to god that I'm not going through the same problem again with a transmission. I'm going to get a price on CV Joints tomorrow...

Has anyone heard their CV joints make a small whine for 1/2 second or a rubbing kind of a noise before? Again the noise sounds like it is RUBBING against something only when i turn right....if anyone can help please....

Quick Reply: suspension problem after hitting an unavoidable pothole on the freeway at 70 mph