Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Master Cylinder Heat Shield Reinstallation Tips??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 10:05 AM
tt9714
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Looking for Master Cylinder Heat Shield Reinstallation Tips??

Well the engine rebuild is quickly coming to a close, but I need to put back the master cylinder heat shield on my '86 951.

I was reviewing my original disassembly instructions & notes, and I'm at about step 10. The only things still off the car are:
* fuel rail
* intake manifold
* dipstick & tube
* brake fluid reservoir

I removed the mounting bracket for the turbo water pump to give a little extra room. However, I really cannot remember how I managed to get this heat shield out of the car. It does go in from the top, right? there is a u-shaped cutout at the bottom that fits around the steering linkage.

Does it need to be gently bent into shape? I cannot seem to get enough clearance due to the oil filler tube, brake booster, and turbo.

Help please...
Old 06-02-2002, 10:14 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do have to somewhat wrestle that f'n thing back into place. Nose down the front side first, then lower the rear to level it out. I get the lower attachments from below.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:42 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts
If you don't have it in yet and want to add a little extra safety margin you can apply a heat refelctive shield to it. I cut some aluminum faced heat shield fabric and glued it to the factory heat shield. Makes a nice looking install and it can't hurt. BTW, I had my heat shield on before I installed the engine.

Alan
Old 06-03-2002, 12:37 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only tough part after you get it in place is putting the nuts on at the bottom. You'll have to do that blindly from the under the car. I guess a mirror on a stick would help too... good luck!

P.S. make sure your tetanus shots are up to date...
Old 06-03-2002, 11:33 AM
tt9714
Racer

Thanks for the replies guys. Well the heat shield is back in place and secured. I only lost a few pints of blood in the process Seriously, I did wear gloves, and after a little wrestling match everything went back into place.

I did have to remove the turbo water pump mounting bracket and the brake master cylinder to get enough room. I managed to scrape a little of the paint off the side of the brake booster, but that's pretty much hidden anyway once the install is complete.

I also managed to get the intake manifold back in place. That was kind of a juggling match trying to get everything aligned before tightening all the fasteners. BTW, the intake manifold to head gaskets do stay in place by friction while getting things lined up, and they do not require any grease or adhesive.

Tonight I plan to put back the fuel & ignition systems and try to start the engine!
Old 06-03-2002, 11:40 AM
KW951
Advanced

I just did this last night as well. I didn't put the turbo coolant pump in until I had the heat shield on, but I didn't need to remove the master cylinder to do it for whatever reason.

Quick Reply: Looking for Master Cylinder Heat Shield Reinstallation Tips??