Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So F***ing Pissed

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 08:15 AM
Magnus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by crazandy:
<strong>I live in a townhouse community and they dont' allow workin on cars, they will call the cops on me </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeeeiikkk!!!
I thought you US guys was supporting freedom ALL over the world? I guess your neighbors just don't like that idea so they formed their own junta!

//Magnus
Old 05-20-2002, 12:20 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Me and my roomate (with an M3) just put down the cash for an apartment in Boston with a good amount of driveway space and a (*gasp*) two car garage! I bought a little hydraulic jack and I couldn't be more psyched to get back to school. That's better than what I've got here at "home."

There's a lot to be said for not having a rusty El Camino up on blocks in your neighbors yard--I wouldn't want that crap in my neighborhood, but I think calling the cops right out is bit extreme. I echo what was said before about unexpected projects...sometimes a routine brake pad change turns into a caliper melting in your hands...unforseen...temporary...Sorry, Mr. Johnson, I'm just waiting for a part from Germany...no no, I understand, it is unsightly. Your AMC went how many miles without a hitch? That's tremendous...
Old 05-20-2002, 01:26 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

"Calling the cops" is getting much more common. In many neighborhoods, there are organizations called "Associations". People living under the umbrella of these associations agree to certain provisions. In some areas, the association has to approve a color change to a house, the kinds of shrubbry that can be installed and the number of cars. In one instance, an individual was heavily fined because he had relatives visit over a holiday and one of the relatives had to park on the road (which is against association rules). Even displaying an American flag has been (in Florida after 9/11) an object of contention with the association bringing suit against the homeowner.

The worst part is that the residents PAY to be harassed like this!! There are annual dues that can be in the hundreds of dollars.

The philosophy is to keep the neighborhood attractive. But, thiose who run these associations can (but not always, to be fair),use the rules as a weapon against those they do not like.

I suppose it is just another indication of what increasing density of population will ultimately lead to.

The short time solution is to find a home in an area without such an association that does through common sense what the association forces upon its members.

Out in the country on 40 acres sounds nice.....

Cheers!!

Bob S.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:57 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Bob S.:
<strong>"Calling the cops" is getting much more common. I suppose it is just another indication of what increasing density of population will ultimately lead to.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly! Why can't more people understand this? Why is everything in society geared towards procreation? I've said it before, and I'll say it again- instead of the incentives that are given for people TO have children, there need to exist incentives to NOT have children. If we, the US took this upon ourselves, it would help, but we are such a small part of the worlds population (~5%), but we have to start somewhere....
Old 05-20-2002, 02:35 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, the Europeans are ahead of us here (again). Their replacement-rate (number of kids per woman) is lower than the death-rate, so the population is shrinking. With the number of DINKie families I see (Dual-Income No-Kids), I would think that the U.S. is sure to follow in a couple of decades? Maybe not... DINKies (former Yuppies) are definitely the minority I think... What we need is a good plague... Amazing how nature just seems to have all these checks & balances in place, eh?
Old 05-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Germanicus
Advanced

As one who has lived in a townhouse for the last five years, I can attest to some of the above comments. I had a faulty alarm in my Jeep that would, VERY occasionally, start chirping for no apparent reason. Anonomous neighbors were quick to report this to the building manager who informed me that they were threatening to call the cops if this continued! Having had my Jeep stolen from my parking stall a couple of years ago, I REFUSED to park it without arming it. Also, we can't even put our bikes on our balcony!
Supposedly, it makes the balcony look 'unsightly'. No bs.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:17 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I once lived in an apartment building where they wouldn't let you barbecue on your balcony. Claimed you might burn the building down. Brick building with concrete & steel balcony. Some people just go out of their way to make life miserable for others.

Quick Reply: So F***ing Pissed