Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamat - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 06:10 PM
ArcticCzar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Dynamat - any advice?

I'm looking for suggestions for quieting my car a little. Some questions: Dynamat or Dynamat Ultra? Mat or spray? And where to actually put it for the most effectiveness? Any help will be appreciated!!
Old 12-20-2002, 07:54 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The regular Dynamat works quite well - I've used it many times in the past on Jeeps.

The best clue on where to put it is given by example from the factory... the floor board, the tunnel, the rear wheel arches, and the back deck seem to be key. When you strip a 944, the most noise comes now from the transaxle and road debris from the rear tires. A good amount of engine noise is also amplified by losing the thick bedding on the vertical surfaces forward of your feet. Basically, put it EVERYWHERE I wouldn't attempt the spray unless you are going for ultimate noise reduction - that stuff is for getting into areas that are not easily covered by the adhesive sheets - more for show cars that have extreme ICE systems.

Skip
Old 12-21-2002, 01:54 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

i covered the "front" panel of the spare tire well and noticed a big difference. im not sure if my transaxle is more noisy than usual tho. i also covered the deck above the gas tank. im going to add more later ive just been too busy lately. best of luck
Old 12-21-2002, 02:03 AM
Audiobahn944
AutoX

Hello,
I totally striped my car down and covered every part of my car, The dynamat sheets work really well, just make sure you use a heat gun to apply it for best results. The first spots I would look at would be the insides of your doors, rear wheel hubs, and up the center of the car has almost no padding. I went through about 14 sheets of dynamat and believe me once you get going the stuff goes fast. I would recomend cutting it into small strips and then laying it. You get better results and make sure the surface is clean before laying any matting.
Tony
Old 12-21-2002, 11:54 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I see there are several other brands of sound absorbing material on Ebay that claim to be as good as dynamat at less cost. Has anyone had positive experience with these other brands ?

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1945868231" target="_blank">Other brand on Ebay</a>

Quick Reply: Dynamat - any advice?