Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reversed the polarity of a battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:56 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who has them, have a link?

why's this a better/more efficient way to charge the batt?

95sl320dd
Old 10-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

I did the same thing. Doh.

Luckily only damage was a blown ABS fuse (and about 5 hours chasing/troubleshooting because I checked the wrong fuse).

Tried to drain the battery to nil and reverse but it didn't work. New battery.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bearone
who has them, have a link?

why's this a better/more efficient way to charge the batt?

95sl320dd
i can't vouch for validity of this info...but i know i use pulse charger on my r/c toy battery packs.

Originally Posted by wikipedia
Some chargers use pulse technology in which a pulse is fed to the battery. This DC pulse has a strictly controlled rise time, pulse width, pulse repetition rate (frequency) and amplitude. This technology is said to work with any size, voltage, capacity or chemistry of batteries, including automotive and valve-regulated batteries.[2][3] With pulse charging, high instantaneous voltages can be applied without overheating the battery. In a Lead-acid battery, this breaks-down stubborn lead-sulfate crystals, thus greatly extending the battery service life.[4]

Several kinds of pulse charging are patented.[5][6][7] Others are open source hardware.[8]

Some chargers use pulses to check the current battery state when the charger is first connected, then use constant current charging during fast charging, then use pulse charging as a kind of trickle charging to maintain the charge.[9]

Some chargers use "negative pulse charging", also called "reflex charging" or "burp charging".[10] Such chargers use both positive and brief negative current pulses. Such chargers don't work any better than pulse chargers that only use positive pulses.[11][12]
Old 10-22-2008, 07:02 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched a neighbor pull a dead battery out of his car and put a new one in and he hooked it up backwards. The wiring to the battery caught on fire and started spreading. I got concerned because my car was parked next to his flamimg car. He shut the hood and the fire went out and he opened the hood and pulled the wires and put them on correctly. He drove that car for years without repairing any wires.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:07 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by krystar
i can't vouch for validity of this info...but i know i use pulse charger on my r/c toy battery packs.
aren't they nicads or something similiar?

my schumacher doesn't pulse charge and i've never heard of it before this post.

95sl320dd
Old 10-22-2008, 08:30 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It's because you live in berkeley. A lot of things "reverse their polarity" in the bay area........
Old 10-23-2008, 01:47 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by bearone
aren't they nicads or something similiar?

my schumacher doesn't pulse charge and i've never heard of it before this post.

95sl320dd
When I was a kid I competively raced RC cars. I had a sponsor who supplied me with factory matched battery sets and a few expensive chargers, among other things. Unlike car batteries, the Nihm or nicad batteries would have a memory so they worked best when drained completely before charging. I used resistor on the batteries to drain them 100% before charging then would run the pulse charger to pack in as much juice as possible. I didn't fully understand it then but I was was given the best of the best at the time and for chargers, these were it. I could adjust that amperage and duty cycle manually also which worked good for qualifying laps....anyway a car battery is completely different then RC batteries.

For car and deep cycle batteries, as they age, corrosion forms on the plates. This is especially true if the acid levels get too low or any of the plate is above the water/acid. Once it hits the open air, the corrosion begins almost immediately. Pulse chargers help knock that corrosion off. Most Hi-Lo and other large industrial chargers are pulse chargers to help prolong the life of the batteries.

Quick Reply: Reversed the polarity of a battery