Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Huntley Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 08:31 PM
AMCPILOT
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 22 Posts
Happy New Year!

I think the strength of sites like Rennlist is getting information like this. It is not enough to look at the pretty ads or web sites and the claims of what various modifications can do, but is vitally important to know who you are dealing with and if they stand behind what they sell.

On the positive side, I've had a lot of excellent customer service from 20th Street Auto in Phoenix. If you are looking for used parts, they should also be considered. THey bent over backwards to help me and corrected some shipping errors before I even asked! THAT is customer service!
Old 01-02-2003, 08:40 PM
tecart
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that was rough, for someone who states you never bought from them your coming across too much like an ***, HR never gave me less than 100 percect satisfaction, why are the ones who never dealt with HR so strongly opinionated? It defies logic to speak so cruely, Derrick please dont think that alot of us don't appreciate your efforts and will continue to hold fast in support, thanks for adding some more phone/customer support
Old 01-02-2003, 09:36 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
yup, ive never had a bad experience. hes always been a stand up guy to me...
Old 01-02-2003, 09:45 PM
ram_one
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by SamGrant951:
<strong>yup, ive never had a bad experience. hes always been a stand up guy to me...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Me too!
Old 01-03-2003, 02:17 AM
rcldesign
Racer

Thumbs up

Please refer to my signature below
Old 01-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Huntley Racing
Racer

Thanks for the support guys. The fact is though that this head job has taken a long time and even though it was mostly out of our hands our customer is nonetheless without his head. As luck would have it there is more yet to do that has added some more time. When it rains it pours...
Old 01-03-2003, 03:50 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

so, has the head shipped? are you satisfed with it? i really need someone to do head work, and to be brutally honest, i think this has unfortunately scared me away from huntley when it comes down to it. i've worked with paragon, lindsey, ian's perf.prod, pelican before, as well as a few local shops (universal imports and autocrafting) - all positive experiences, especially paragon, lindsey and ians (not in any order, they were all equally as helpful). thus far i'm considering for the head guru, lindsey, and i was looking at huntley - but since i ABSOLUTELY need this done ASAP i think i'll leave it at this: derek, unless you can absolutely assure me that this can be done quickly, i will give you a chance to earn my business (to me, ANY transaction must be earned by the vendor) but not this time, i feel really rude even saying that, but i just can't afford to have happen what appears to have happened, even if it was out of your control, and i trust both of you on that point. that's ok, you still offer PLENTY of goodies i'd love to get my hands on
Old 01-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

I'll answer that for you. I shipped Huntley Racing my head on October 25th, 2002. He should have recieved it on November, 1st, 2002. It is now January 3rd, 2003 and I do not have a UPS tracking number for my head as of 5:30 PM ET. I am glad there are several pleased customers of Huntley out there. I would sure like to know what I have to do, beyond spending over $1600, to receive this extra level of service.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Huntley Racing
Racer

Short of having a part on the shelf there are never any absolutes. In the case of Scott's head, he thought he had a few bent valves. When we got the head they were all bent. The decision was made to go to oversize valves, which at the time were not available from our supplier. We got an estimated time of arrival from them which we passed on to Scott. They failed to get the valves to us. Then when we finally get the valves we have a problem with two seats, which needed to be replaced which we did. We have now got the head done and ready for shipping. Of course we had two weeks of holidays in there too and here we are. What we have done to help a bit is upgrade Scott to Overnight shipping, repair his two bad valve seats for free, throw in some T-shirts and such and apologize profusely. The reality is that there is no guarantee this can't happen to any head, motor, crank, etc... that we get from a customer to do work on. Any shop that claims otherwise is misleading you. We give a time estimate based on current workload and the longer of the average time it takes. Usually we are on time or early, but sometimes we are late for any number of reasons, which we try to help out with by speeding up the shipping or some other perk to ease the wait a bit.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:38 PM
fusionsport
Instructor

dmoffit for headwork I can suggest a number of good people- Carolina Speedwerks in North Carolina(not always the fastest but a good job at a decent price) Paul Scwartz at Simtec(sp?- I can never remember how he spells that) in West Chester, PA- a VERY knowledgeable 944/911 tuner/builder, Peter Dawe, DaweSpeed in PA- excellent but expensive- Superior Machine in Reno, Nevada- good work and reasonable price/turnaround, CMW in Ca- expensive, but delivers or there is a reason why. I have had work done by all of these people mentioned, and in fact worked with Speedwerks myself. They will do a good job for you. The best 944 head guy, period, is now director of motorsports for Mahle, and I doubt seriously you can get him to do your head
While I agree that things happen and sometimes work can be delayed, as a professional in this business myself I find it hard to accept derricks reasons- if one of my jobs stall due to lack of parts by a supplier- that client is informed ASAP, and another supplier for said parts found if at all possible, even if it means losing a bit of profit. If a part is found to have a defect halfway through the job, the client is informed and given a revised delivery date- although this business of saying two seats were found to be bad halfway through the job is a bit curious, as they should have been noticed upon the initial tear-down, and a revised quote sent out to the client. Saying a head, or any part is going out today, knowing good and well it is sitting on the bench still waiting assembly is just wrong, and tho I am not sure that is what happened here I do know from the very first post the head was promised multiple times- and no phone calls were made to tell the client of any delay- in fact it seems the client had to make the calls himself, out of frustration. Also this business of saying that your vender is to blame is BS- you picked the vender, and therefore it is your fault- just as it is your responsibility to see your sub-contractor completes the jobs you send him on time- if he cant find a new one- or go out of business. A few t-shirts(doubtless with your logo on them) and overnight shipping is not even a good start- but 10% off the bill is, and even at that it doesnt really compensate for the run-around this customer has gotten- the issue isnt that the parts were backordered or whatnot- it was that the customer wasnt kept informed and feels he was lied to- I have rarely had a customer not understand about delays and that sort of thing, they generally just want to know what is going on-and if after the work is completed they feel I let them down- I dont blame them for finding a new place to do business. I dont sell 944 parts, nor does the shop I work with do headwork in-house. We do run a 4 car Speed World Challenge GT team, SCCA, Vintage, and PCA cars, and a full time restoration shop as well as a retail parts store- so we have an idea of what time-sensitive means. We have just now started taking on new work-in a limited amount- after a month of saying "Sorry, but we are behind".....

Quick Reply: Advice on Huntley Racing