Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDC

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:26 AM
Brewer944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDC

So... how do you know you are getting "close" to top dead center by blipping the starter? Won't you just keep shooting past it, and not see if you've missed it? I was trying earlier today and it seems way too fast to catch, not to mention it seems unhealthy for the engine to be doing it. Cranking at the crankshaft in turn takes forever...
Old 10-20-2008, 01:37 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewer944
....Cranking at the crankshaft in turn takes forever...

Not as long as hoping the starter will miraculously stop at the right spot. Use the check mark at the bottom of the bellhousing and then check the TDC window for fine tuning it to the mark.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:46 AM
Brewer944
Advanced

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Not as long as hoping the starter will miraculously stop at the right spot. Use the check mark at the bottom of the bellhousing and then check the TDC window for fine tuning it to the mark.
haha. Right. That was what I was expecting to hear. I have rigged up a narrower ratchet and shorter socket so I can get more degrees of crank out of it. The combo I was using provided me with one ratchet click of a turn at a time between the two flanges of the fan mountings. Approx 4 degrees at a time= not fun.

What is up with using the starter in Clarks/Haynes anyway?? I am disappointed.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure why they think the starter method is better. I've always pulled the plugs, and used a 1/2" drive 24mm deep socket and I get 2/3 rotation of the crankshaft working from underneath.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:07 AM
eniac
Drifting

If the car is on the ground I sometimes put it in gear and bump it with me knee, otherwise I use the crank bolt to turn it.

The starter method is easy if you have a push button switch for this. Just clamp on the starter terminals and tap the button while you watch through the TDC window at the top of the bellhousing. It's alot easier then "turn a little, check window, turn a little, check window, oops too far, try again, check..." Although after enough times when turning my hand using the crank bolt, you can feel when it's close to TDC.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't do the starter method at all - just get a ratchet and turn it till the notch on the pulley lines up and then double check on the window. It helps to spray degreaser or something in to the window to see the TDC mark
Old 10-20-2008, 11:47 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another method is to remove the spark plug and drop a long wooden or plastic dowel in there.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:21 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Look at the cam sprocket. You can see the alignment mark from the front of the car, while you're turning the crank bolt. When you get it lined up, check for TDC at the bellhousing on top, or at the starter. If it's not TDC, you're 180 degrees out. Crank until the cam sprocket goes around again. Verify TDC....you can probably see the one on the top of the bellhousing and be able to grab your extension at the same time for fine adjustment.

Done this twice so far - by myself. No problems.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Brewer944
Advanced

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Look at the cam sprocket. You can see the alignment mark from the front of the car, while you're turning the crank bolt. When you get it lined up, check for TDC at the bellhousing on top, or at the starter. If it's not TDC, you're 180 degrees out. Crank until the cam sprocket goes around again. Verify TDC....you can probably see the one on the top of the bellhousing and be able to grab your extension at the same time for fine adjustment.

Done this twice so far - by myself. No problems.
Yes, that is the plan as soon as I get my next 944 work window. I may jack up and access from below to get more degrees of crank. With my fat torque wrench from above the degrees of crank were absolutely laughable. I could not even get the ratchet to click on the backstroke.

To cut a long story short, that will teach me for not double checking what size drive my 1" extension was before buying a regular, not deep, socket.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:42 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Take out the air box.

I was trying to figure out why you were having such a hard time from the top because I didn't. I went back through my pictures and saw that I had the air box out while I was doing that. It's easy to remove...you don't even need to disconnect the wiring harness - just lay it over on top of the intake.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:21 AM
Brewer944
Advanced

Had no more trouble with a different wrench/adapter combo. Went in from the top. Didn't bother taking air box off, found I had plenty of room for everything. Thanks though.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:08 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

deep 24mm socket, 1/2" socket wrench, it's easy turning it over. If you don't have a deep socket you'll be there all day and get nowhere! Take out the spark plugs to really make it a breeze to turn. And all you have to do is paint a little mark on the AC sprocket on the crank for TDC and from then on you can easily know when you're getting close, so you don't waste time getting up and lying down.

Or if you have a helper, it's cake.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Brewer944
Advanced

OK, that has all been done! Now I just ran the beastie, and the great news is vibration is pretty much gone!!

Bad news is I have a significant scream when giving it gas (covers off, hood open....) wondering how much is normal for the belts to scream?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:44 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

OK, that has all been done! Now I just ran the beastie, and the great news is vibration is pretty much gone!!

Bad news is I have a significant scream when giving it gas (covers off, hood open....) wondering how much is normal for the belts to scream?
Not enough for you to mention it.

1.) Your balance shaft idler is touching the BS pulley (the plastic one). Go to the front of the car while its running. Throttle up. See if the belt touches and spins it all the time. It makes quite a whine. Adjust it back if it is.
2.) You balance shaft belt is too tight. Its supposed to be a lot looser than you think.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

... Cranking at the crankshaft in turn takes forever...
... but it is the only way to do it. You can pull the plugs to make it easier to turn over.

The one thing to look for is the set screw on the flywheel you will see it before the OT mark. So just crank it over untill you see the set screw flyby then take it slow and look for the OT mark.

Quick Reply: TDC