Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door hinge replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 12:39 AM
jpapanas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Door hinge replacement

I need to replace the drivers door hinge pins(#5) and hinge halfs(#4) because they are worn and the door is sagging slightly.

To remove the door, I need to disconnect the wiring harness. Do you disconnect the harness from the fusebox or disconnect the harness connectors inside the door to pull the harness out?

Regards,
Jim
<a href="http://members.rogers.com/944.turbo/images/DCP_0364.JPG" target="_blank">944 Turbo</a>
Old 12-01-2002, 09:00 PM
jpapanas
Advanced

bump...
Old 12-02-2002, 05:06 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

From my (good old) VW experience:
Leave the door in, just get the pin out (may be a troubelsome though) there is a special tool to press the pin oit, punch and a hammer (with a big ine on the body hinge to prevent distortion here, wrapped in a rag to keep the paint nice, held in place by a helper) should do the job as well.
Than use an oversized reamer to get the bore right again.
Then hammer the new (over sized)pin in.
Door to be opened in full (for acess) and to be supported by a garage jack on the outer edge with some rags to protect the paint.
A helper or a makeshift jig to hold the door (prevent it from falling / tipping) might be helpfull.
Should not take loger than 30 minutes per hinge.
Replace only one pin at the time, start with the one with most play in it. Fair chance the problem disappeared after doing just that one.
TakeCare
Old 12-02-2002, 09:54 PM
jpapanas
Advanced

Thanks for the advice Hans.

I bought a new hinge pin but I think it's the same size - not oversized. I also bought a new hinge half that bolts to the body. I think it's going to be very difficult to remove the hinge half without taking the door off. Unfortunatly, the other hinge half is welded to the door.

I'm hoping that the bore is not too bad and the new pin and hinge half will be tight enough, otherwise I'm going to have to make a new pin and bore it out as you suggest.

Any ideas on what to use for an oversize hinge pin?

Regards,
Jim
Old 12-03-2002, 03:58 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Jim

If I recall correctly, the pin size is 6mm and first over size is 6,2 mm, next step up is 6,4.
Now you guys are lucky for once with this amaizing sizing system you have in USA: 1/4 inch is actually 6,35 mm.
TakeCare
Old 12-03-2002, 09:13 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Can the door mount be adjusted to raise or lower the door in relation to the car body?
Old 12-04-2002, 11:05 PM
jpapanas
Advanced

Tom,

Yes, there is about 1/8" adjustment up or down and about 1/8" adjustment in or out that could be made to the door in relation to the car body.

The adjustment is made by loosening the bolts(#8) that hold the hinge halfs(#4) to the body and adjusting the hinge halfs up or down or in or out.

You can see how much adjustment you have by undoing just one of those bolts.

You also have to make sure that the door lock assembly lines up with the striker pin on the body.

Regards,
Jim
Old 04-30-2003, 01:06 AM
jpapanas
Advanced

I finally got around to trying to replace the hinge pin and hinge half, but I'm having trouble getting the hinge pin out.

To remove the hinge half you need to remove the door. To remove the door, you need to disconnect the wiring harness from inside the car, below the fusebox, after removing the carpet and insulation surrounding the hood release lever.

Once I had the door off, I could not tap the upper hinge pin out. I tapped the pin downwards from above, but it wouldn't budge. The new pin has a serated band, about 1/4 inch wide, on one end. On the old pin, the serated end is on the bottom, that's why I'm tapping the pin downwards from above.

Is there a special tool needed to remove the hinge pin? I'm afraid of bending or distorting the hinge half that is welded to the door if I tap really hard. It's also hard to do because you don't have a straight shot at the pin because the top of the door is in the way and you have to tap down at a slight angle.

Regards,
Jim
<a href="http://members.rogers.com/944.turbo/images/DCP_0364.JPG" target="_blank">944 Turbo</a>

Quick Reply: Door hinge replacement