Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much should a good alignment cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 08:14 AM
Lee Zook
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the alignment done at my local Olson Tires Plus (www.tiresplus.com)on my 924S and 944 turbo. They spent around 1.5 hrs on them doing the rear and front alignments. The normal cost was $100, but the last time they had a special for $90. They have a guy there who has experience with the alignment on the 944's. I think that for $25 all they will be doing is adjusting the toe in. In any case, check to make sure they actually have a guy who is experienced on the 944.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:25 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Wow, I don't know where or when you guys got the $100 lifetime from Firestone. My Explorer cost me $120 for the life time and my 944 was $200 for a lifetime because of the time factor. I always take the Shop Maunal with thew alignment section with me to leave in the car. The Firestone I use has had some turnover lately.

A local shop around here told me $400 for a complete set-up; ride height, corner weighting, and alignment. That's about 4 hour of shop time IIRC.

If you've changed or adjusted your ride height then you should get an alignment. Persona;;y I would avoid the $24.95 offer unless you know and trust the guy. You tend to get what you pay for.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:56 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Maybe it is 24.95 if you buy 4 new tires?
Old 06-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Carl, the Firestone store I've been going to didn't do the rear-ride height adjustment. Where is the store you took yours to? I am working up north now, off of Brodie, and can take it to the place near you after work sometime.
Finally sorted out my wheel issue, still need the sways bushings...more to do
Old 06-09-2003, 11:13 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting a proper 4 corner setup made a huge difference to the handling of my car.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:20 PM
Carl Nall
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robert D,

I used the Firestone store at Anderson Lane and Northcross Dr. I've forgotten the the tech's name but I have it in my paperwork at home.

I was impressed at the amount of time taken with my car and the care taken to avoid scratching the wheels. Also, he will try to set it up to your spec's as much as possible.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:09 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Awesome, I need to get mine in again. I'd like to have my rears re-balanced after the 4k mile trip we put on them. I still had a friend's set on the car when I had it aligned last, they scratched some of the paint off where the alignment machine touches the wheel.

I already plan on putting tape along the edges before I bring in the car. Any news on a new BMW yet?

FYI - On the topic, I do suggest Firestone service centers for alignments since they have the lifetime option for ~130. It works out great, since suspension components are getting to the time for replacement on most 944s...and they will re-align every time you install a new component. Haha, they will also try to sell you tires! I loved the looks on their faces when I brought my car in with track-ridden Kumho Victoracers.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:49 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
You got to go by locality. I just got back from the local Firestone. Not only did they not offer any kind of arranty at any price. THEY REFUSED TO DO IT AT ALL! Second time it has happened to me. They said both cars were too old. They don't have the "specs"

This time he went out back to check with the "Lead tech" came back in less than 10 seconds and said to take it to the dealer.

I said this is the second time they've done this to me, I walk out I don't come back for nothing. The guy actually shrugged his shoulders.

And before we get into profiling, I'd spent the day at a clients and was in nice new shirt tie and slacks, very spiffy.

Sullivan tire will do it, and I don't have a huge amount of confidence in them. But I want to do the tie rod ends soon and will have to have it done again. So I'm not to worried, and this is a daily driver, not a track car.

Just can't believe that a place will refuse my business.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

I'd be wary of it. Firestone can probably do a good job aligning your mom's buick for normal driving, but for a high performance vehicle, where tenths of a degree are significant, I'd go with a specially trained expert with very precise and accurate tools. And a shop that can do the corner weights and adjust the ride height simultaneously might not be a bad idea...
Old 06-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

As far as I know. They did do the corner weights, but did not do the ride height. The shop Carl went to did both. They had a pretty nice setup, compared with the Porsche specialty shops I've seen. Besides, having the lifetime is a plus...even if you take it to a dealer every other time to have it aligned...the ability to do it for free is amazing to me.
Make sure the Firestone center is a Full-Service center...if they are incompetent...try a different place. It always helps talking to people while work is done...
As far as your car being too old, that is rediculous...I'm sure they wouldn't turn down an 83 Buick.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Sid, what about either Nasuha Foreign Auto (DW Hwy) or NTB (by Home Depot, DW Hwy)?

It's probably best that those clowns didn't want your business. Doesn't sound like they knew what they were doing.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:10 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Trying for places close to my home.

Sullivan said they will do it. Bunch of *** clowns from what I understand but just going for a basic alignment for now.

Dropped it off and it's a 5 minute walk home.

We'll see in a little while.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:13 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Rob

They did turn down an 80 Duster. Same reason. Bunch of frigging A-holes.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:43 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Hmmmmmmm

Just got a call. These guys aren't sounding to bad.

Said he did alignment best he could. They stayed away from the rear, but pointed out that it did need adjustment (PO put drastic camber in) and that they had the tools to do it, but didn't push to get it done.

Also pointed out it needed new front shocks (which I suspected) but didn't push on that.

A lot of times these guys refuse to do the alignment without all the other stuff. So they sound honest.

Going to pick it up now, so we'll see.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Yep, they refused my alignment the first time because the tie-rods were worn and the wheel-bearings needed to be repacked.
Its good to hear they were easy to deal with.

Quick Reply: How much should a good alignment cost?