Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washer system.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 01:20 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Post Windshield washer system.

I was trying to get my windshield washers to work this weekend and found something odd. There is one hose going to the pump (inlet) and one hose coming off the pump (outlet), however the outlet hose goes to a "t" fitting which goes to the tank and to the washer jets. I found most of the pressure was simply going back into the tank instead of the washer jets where I needed it. I plugged the outlet hose in the tank and suddenly I had perfect pressure on my washer jets, is there a valve or something missing on the outlet hose in the tank? I thought maybe they were trying to recirculate a portion or the fluid, but couldn't figure out why. I also though about a ciphoning effect caused by the "t" fitting on the oulet, why though?
Old 12-18-2002, 02:19 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm. That is weird. My car is an '88 so it may have a different setup than yours. My pump is installed in the side of the washer fluid tank near the bottom. So the pump draws directly out of the tank, not though a hose. There is one hose coming out of the pump, it goes up to the nozzles and feeds them both via a t-fitting and a couple check valves. Fluid is not recirculated to the tank.

Bryan

"At Porsche, we only make sports cars"
Old 12-19-2002, 08:09 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LT: exactly as mine is configured.
(actually: the return tube from the tee inside the tank has been bent 180 degrees and strapped with an ty-rap. Most definitively not OEM)
I suspect that the tee used to house some sort of relief valve to protect the pump when the jets are clogged.
Cant think of any other (sensible) reason for it.

Bryan: Mine has the submerged pump as well, feeding the headlight washers, no by-pass here.
TakeCare
Old 12-19-2002, 08:38 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
used to have '87 N/A now have '88 951.Pumps are different! I changed pump to my '87.It is excately the same VDO pump as VW Golf II have.Only attacment bracket is different.
There are also back pressure valves near washer jets.If these valves are bad you won't have enough pressure for washer jets.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:38 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mine is made the same way. I had to plug up the T to get enough pressure to make it spray. It works now.

Quick Reply: Windshield washer system.