Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake is off..

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Bomber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake is off..

While attempting to put on the new cycling valve on 86 951 I broke while doing the clutch job, I broke the vac lines to the CV. I figure it is time to do the venturi delete and vac lines, so I removed the intake last night. For those who don't know, it's not a big deal to remove. After removing the fuel rail, I found an injector with a broken cap?(the orange part that goes on end of injector into the IM) and a leak. Of the four injectors, 3 of them left residue on the intake, and they where clearly sealed as evidenced by crud around the manifold/injector. The one with the broken tip was clean in the area around the injector, and the oring not crushed like the others. Cool find as I caught whiffs of fuel now and then.

Now that the intake is off, I have a few questions.
1. I removed the top clip on the injector that has broken tip to remove it but couldn't pull it out. Isn't it just an oring holding it into the fuel rail or is there something else still holding it in?
2. I saw the $22 kit with orings and new tips for the injectors, but after how many miles would I want to replace the injectors? If I replace them, are there cheaper alternatives to the stockers?
3. Are the metal lines under the manifold replaced when doing venturi delete, or is that something people do when they go to a MBC? I'm a little confused on that issue. TIA
Old 10-02-2008, 02:23 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

1. They just pull out from the rail after you remove the clip at the top.
2. Send the injectors to Witchhunter to get them cleaned and balanced. They will return them with new seals and caps.
3. don't know
Old 10-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

1) There is one metal clip that pulls off, after that the injector can be pulled out. It may require some force to pull it out.. just be careful you dont break the fuel rail.

2) It may be worthwhile sending out all 4 injectors to be cleaned, rebuilt and flow tested. I like to use Witchhunter.com personally.

3) The metal lines under the intake have two purposes. They are for the cycling valve and the air oil separator vent. You can really only delete this after you remove the cycling valve in favor of a manual boost controller. With that pipe deleted, you will still need to run a line from the top of the AOS to the j-boot.

This is what you end up with under the intake with the venturi delete and the metal lines. I replaced it with a MBC and silicone line for the AOS vent. My car is an '88 so it did not have the venturi to begin with.

Here it is with everything in place..very ugly .

Old 10-02-2008, 02:25 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

1. I removed the top clip on the injector that has broken tip to remove it but couldn't pull it out. Isn't it just an oring holding it into the fuel rail or is there something else still holding it in? Yes, keep trying.

2. I saw the $22 kit with orings and new tips for the injectors, but after how many miles would I want to replace the injectors? If I replace them, are there cheaper alternatives to the stockers? See Rennbay if just doing seals and caps, see Witchunter to have them cleaned and flowtested. Witchunter will tell you if they fail and if you need new ones

3. Are the metal lines under the manifold replaced when doing venturi delete, or is that something people do when they go to a MBC? I'm a little confused on that issue. Metal pipes can only be completely eliminated if you eliminate the CV and find a different way to route the AOS hose.

Nice to hear your doing your own work!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:32 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Three answers all in agreement, wow we are getting good at this!

Mike
Old 10-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Bomber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help everyone. I pulled my injectors off and got them on the way to Witchhunter yesterday. I also ordered LR's venturi delete and vac hose combo kit. I got some cleaning done in the area and further inspections. It appears to be untouched under the IM as all the clamps are the crimp kind. It's all getting replaced with new rubber and clamps. I'm planning on using 1/4 in. fuel line where needed as vac line, and still looking locally for the larger sizes in bulk fashion. As far as working on it myself..it's my kinda fun.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

IIRC on Lindsey's site is a diagram of the "new" vac line routing for the venturi delete. Additionally, if you search here, you will find it as well. I did it myself using their diagrams and it worked out fine (and I am not a great wrencher).

Quick Reply: Intake is off..