Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trany or Clutch problem? Need Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008 | 02:12 AM
TRDRacer
Instructor

Default Trany or Clutch problem? Need Help?

Ok ever sense I bought the car it makes a loud clunk noise when I shift sometimes if I don't baby the clutch! The big problem I am having that scares me the most is that when I am driving I let off the gas for the trany to disengage from the gears to cost and when I get back on the gas it feels as the gears are loose inside the trany and they engage very hard as to maybe why I hear a loud CLUNK and it feels like a violent jerk when I step on the gas! Is this because I have almost no clutch left and there is no cushion or is my trany or diff messed up?
Old 09-30-2008 | 02:20 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

check out my threads.

I had a "clunk" sound coming from my transmission when I let off the clutch and then a week later my coupler a and possible torque tube shaft stripped and now I have to drop my trans and possible replace my torque tube.

my problem ended up being the trans coupler being loose or something elese causing it to strip.

you have to look into it to find out the problem. could also be a bad rubber centre clutch but hard to say without actually seeing the car. I thought I had a bad clutch.
Old 09-30-2008 | 10:15 AM
eniac
Drifting

Also check your CV joints and check the cheesehead bolts holding them in.
Old 09-30-2008 | 05:51 PM
joes
Racer

Your rubber centered clutch disk has failed. the disk has a "limp home mode" when the rubber fails. Driving with the rubber sheared makes the drive line real sloppy (I thought the ring and pinion was bad) I replaced the trans axle for nothing.
Old 10-01-2008 | 03:50 PM
TRDRacer
Instructor

K I will check those things when I have time! My clutch seems to grip fine when I drive but there are those times when it feels like it is shot! It makes this loud scratchy noise when I am rolling down a hill in gear sometimes, so I think it is messed up! Is the torque tube hard to rebuild with new hardware if it is striping? And i think if I do the clutch I might aswell replace the cv if they are shot and the bearings for the tourquw tube and any other stuff!

Also a while ago (6 months or so) when i accelerated I heard this noise coming from the rear and it sounded like it was an open can banging on the ground! This was only when i was driving in a straight line not while turning and it was making the noise according to my speed so when i went slow it was slow to bang when i speed up the noise sped up aswell! I went uner the car and tightened everyhting down but still had the noise! One day I got tired of it and I just drove the crap out of the car for 3 hours on the track! and I have not heard it again! But what do you think that could of been?

Quick Reply: Trany or Clutch problem? Need Help?