Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on upgrading S2 intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003 | 12:59 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by PorscheG96:
<strong>9m is working on a complete package for the 968 in hopes of achieving 300 crank horsepower. It's a 'package' not just an intake manifold, using a different engine management system to play with spark timing, fueling, Variocam activation, higher RPM's, etc. They're still tuning the manifold because it only made gains above 6k RPM's [which is a good start] but they want it to offer advantages earlier in the RPM range.

You will see nothing significant from modifying the intake manifold alone. I'm sure SFR anticipates their manifold being used in part of a complete system, with larger turbo exducer, larger intercooler piping, bigger intercooler, and a larger throttle to see any gains on the 951. You don't just slap one part on the car that's big and shiny expecting it to offer more performance. There are many other items you need to address at the same time.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">i'm not sure what's going in the system that 9m talks about but once they figure out the optimal settings with the standalone, could they just burn that into a chip? so if it's a manifold and a chip, that's not too bad. the manifold is a quad throttle body setup so you wouldn't need a bigger bore throttle body. do you know what other parts might be involved/replaced?
Old 06-22-2003 | 01:57 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by dualblade:
<strong>i'm not sure what's going in the system that 9m talks about but once they figure out the optimal settings with the standalone, could they just burn that into a chip? so if it's a manifold and a chip, that's not too bad. the manifold is a quad throttle body setup so you wouldn't need a bigger bore throttle body. do you know what other parts might be involved/replaced?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">When I said the system might benefit from a larger throttle I was refering to the SFR manifold, along with the other parts I mentioned. Obviously the 9m manifold has 4 throttles, you don't need another one in front of the intake plenum.

I see what you're saying about the tuning. They could set the rev limiter at 7k RPM's along with a hotter cam to let the engine breath at that speed. Then I suppose if they have a guru who is REALLY good with the motronic and knows how to rework fueling, timing, and VARIOCAM activation at different RPM's [because it won't work as well with the new intake manifold in it's current settings] you could potentially see big gains with a chip.
Old 06-22-2003 | 10:47 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

i just meant that you wouldn't necessarily need to add a standalone along with the quad throttle body intake manifold. you could use the test car at the shop with a standalone to determine the best settings to use with the new manifold. then you could burn those settings into a chip so everyone wouldn't need to buy the $tandalone. custom engine management and a new intake would be very expensive so a pre programmed chip by the tuner would make the upgrade cheaper

Quick Reply: Opinions on upgrading S2 intake manifold?