Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should the newbies know?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Bomber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should the newbies know?

I am new to 951 ownership and I enjoy working on my own car but have many questions. I originally named this post "Opinion of venturi delete", but it struck me that this particular question came up almost by accident. In my search for info, I have found a couple of things in a similar manner, as if by accident. I'm looking for an answer, it leads me in a particular direction and I end up "discovering" something else I had no idea was even a consideration. My question is if there are a host of "common knowledge" issues the folks who have been involved with 944's all know? I would think there would be, but because us noobs haven't been around long we don't know what they are yet. My original question about the ventury delete is an example. Why would I even question the idea of simply just replacing all my vacuum lines? Why or how is the venturi delete better? Same with waterpump upgrade. How would I know the original is inferior in someway to the updated version, if in fact it even is?

I realize you could argue that a lot of the opinions offered would be just that, opinions. At least it would give the subject exposure and us noobs could look it over and decide based on what our goals for our cars are, not just make a choice based on what we currently have. What other good, maybe better options should we know about? Here's another example. My car is a high mileage car so I'm not looking to hot rod it too much. I do want all the stuff to work efficiently, but I don't know what kinds of improvements I should make. Should I chip it? Install a dual port WG and MBC? Add a boost enhancer? I need a cycling valve, maybe I should eliminate that too, just like the venturi delete. I simply don't know without trying different things which obviously gets expensive, and this car is expensive enough already.

Some of the things I've mentioned here are just for example as I've pretty much decided to leave my car stock and not put undue stress on the engine. I like the idea of the 80/20 rule and consider "biggest bang for the buck my philosophy" and that's my intention here. I could use some guidence and I'm sure some others could as well. As always, I'm looking to save a buck but I also know sometimes the cheap route comes back to bite you. Any ideas are welcome.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Judson951
Drifting

Well first off you need to list what kind of car you have so people can try and help. Make your posts more to the point and people may respond. I think I understand what is going thru your head though. So many different things you can do. Start with listing your car year, model, miles, and we will try and help.

Regards,
Justin
Old 09-29-2008, 04:26 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of your questions can be answered with a search. I've been thinking of compiling a list of threads for something like a "Ultimate FAQ Sticky." Basically a thread with godly threads inside of it.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Bomber
Instructor

I was thinking in terms of what is common knowledge for 951 owners that could benefit all 951 owners with less experience such as myself, but I see your point. My car is an 86 951, 225 thousand miles and pretty much stock as far as I can tell. I have found nothing so far to indicate any performance mods or add ons. So far I have done timing/balance belts/rollers and tensioners, clutch job, updated WP, tuneup, fluids, air filter housing repair, and a few other small repairs, but most everything works. Here are a few questions I have.

1. What would I gain from the venturi delete set-up?
2. While off, are there any tests or inspections of the WG to determine if it is and will function properly? Does the spring wear out or not?
3. Does the BOV really wear out?
4. What are the weak links in the whole turbo system?
5. Would Lindsey Racing's instant hp kit decrease my reliablity much considering the mileage? I have the parts and will get around to the rod bearing replacement shortly.

That's a good example right there about the rod bearings, and the jist of the things I'm trying to find out. I read the #2 rod journal has potential oiling issue on hard cornering, and it is wise to replace the rod bearings if considering adding power. I don't know if that's true or not. I'll bet that most 944 guys already know about this, but a new guy doesn't and it would be an expensive lesson. Part of getting the right answers is asking the right questions, only being new means you don't know what to ask. I'm attempting to find these answers all together in one post, but maybe that's just not realistic. For me personally, it also probably doesn't help that this is my first turbo car, first timing belt car, and probably the most modern car I've been "involved" with. My previous experience has all been American musclecars. I barely had any metric tools before I got his car. Wrenching on cars is where the most fun is to me. It makes sense to do the true upgrades, like the venturi delete may be, or the wp was supposed to have been, but I'm still separating fact from fiction with all the info I'm reading about 951's. I'm trying to avoid getting blindsided by something I should have done because I didn't know about it, but also not waste money on things I don't really need, like an exhaust system that won't net me much in terms of hp like it would on a Mopar. Oops outta time..
Old 09-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

1) Simplified vacuum system under the intake, less chance of leaks developing.
2) Not sure how to bench test the wastegate, but the general consensus is they bleed exhaust pressure very early (weak spring).
3) The stock plastic bypass valve is known to go bad, the plastic diaphragm ruptures

At 225k, i would consider replacing the headgasket before doing many power upgrades. Mostly because the fiber material starts to break down and water can split the fire compression ring allowing coolant into the cylinders.

If you want to 'update' the car a little, i think the best route is a mildly modified car.. 3'' exhaust, chips tuned for 15psi and a dual port wastegate. This will probably get you pretty darn close to 240-250whp and in my opinion will not sacrifice much reliability.

Check out my build page. I like to think i was pretty methodical in my upgrades.

http://sites.google.com/site/jjeng951/
Old 09-29-2008, 05:56 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What should the newbies know?

What should the newbies know?
If you post something that isn't technical, or even about 944's, in the the tech forum, some crazy guy is going to post up a long story or post something that makes no sense whatsoever.

Quick Reply: What should the newbies know?