Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more sunroof woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003 | 01:01 AM
newoldguy
Instructor

Post more sunroof woes

Here were the symptoms--sunroof would always close just fine but started to intermittently be slow to open. Finally, wouldn't open at all. From reading the other posts, I believe it must be the adjustment of the microswitches that are ganged together. I've got down to the motor, I see the microswitches, I've been able to loosen the assembly and move it forward and backward. I can manually open the roof and electrically close it. But I'll be damned if I can adjust it anywhere in the range to get it to open even a little bit. So, what am I doing wrong????
Old 06-21-2003 | 01:19 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

My guess is it's more the microswitch in the roof (the center flap in the front). The microswitches by the motor only control the locked position.
Old 06-21-2003 | 03:57 PM
newoldguy
Instructor

Scootin',
Thanks man. I hadn't checked that one so I'll investigate and let you know.

Anybody got other ideas?
Old 06-21-2003 | 04:39 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by newoldguy:
<strong>Scootin',
Thanks man. I hadn't checked that one so I'll investigate and let you know.

Anybody got other ideas?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">BTW my reason for saying this is switch3 (the one in the roof) controls the "up" position, this tells it when to stop going up when the key is in posII. Basic run down:

Key in position 1 (accessory):
-Press "up" button, arms move down until slip clutch slips (you'll hear a sound change in the motor when this happens).
-Press "down" button, arms move up until switch #2(?) connects. Should happen when roof is latched.

Key in position 2 (run):
-Press "up" button, arms move up until switch #3 connects. Should happen when roof is fully raised.
-Press "down" button, arms move down until switch #1(?) connects. Should happen when roof is latched.

I may have switch #1 & #2 mixed up, but it doesn't matter as they are ganged together and are adjusted together as well.

I also may have all the switched mixed as to when they are open or closed. Maybe I should've said "changes state" above.

You can see though how if switch #3 is broken it would keep the roof from moving up as the system will think the roof is already rasied.
Old 06-21-2003 | 05:31 PM
944Play
Pro

Perhaps the slip clutch on the motor is slipping too much?
Old 06-21-2003 | 05:38 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 944Play:
<strong>Perhaps the slip clutch on the motor is slipping too much?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">True, if this is the case the motor wouldn't be able to move the roof. Didn't even think of that one. I'd check the switch first as the slip clutch is a pain to adjust.
Old 06-21-2003 | 05:53 PM
qoncept944
Pro

Don't mean to hijack this post, but IS there a locked position? Mine doesn't stop anywhere between up and unlocked unless you stop pushing the switch -- is it supposed to behave this way?
Old 06-21-2003 | 09:43 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by qoncept944:
<strong>Don't mean to hijack this post, but IS there a locked position? Mine doesn't stop anywhere between up and unlocked unless you stop pushing the switch -- is it supposed to behave this way?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">No, the behavior you're describing sounds like the adjustments for the two microswitches in the trunk are out of adjustment. Over time they can become loose & they will no longer connect when the roof is in the right position.

To fix:

Pull out rear carpet (the big piece that you pull out to get ot the spare tire) and get yourself some working room.

Unscrew the rubber stopper on the bottom & pop out the carpet snaps on the drivers side & pull that carpet back (you can't actually get it out, but you can pull it back & get yourself some room.

Pull off the black cover over the sunroof motor assembly (should be 4 screws). (yours may not have this being it's pre-86)

You'll now see two little white switches ganged together at the top of the motor assembly. There are two screws that hold this in, one that adjusts forward/backwards and another that adjusts how close the switches are to the assembly. You probably will have to loosen the one to move it closer to the assembly and then tighten when it's there.

It's a lot easier than I just made it sound, but I may have gotten some details wrong being that yours is pre-86 (when they made a small change in the roof setup).

Quick Reply: more sunroof woes