Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant on belts

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 06:47 AM
Marcus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Coolant on belts

Hi,

I had a coolant hose let go on me last night, the one from the water pump to the bottom of the radiator. It split right under the thermostat and sprayed coolant all over the front of the engine.

2 questions:
1. The water pump was replaced 8 weeks ago. Should I be annoyed with mechanic for not spotting the hose was deteriorating and not replacing at the time?

2. Should I get belts replaced ASAP just in case coolant has run into the belt covers?

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:25 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Hi Marcus

1) Should I be annoyed with mechanic for not spotting the hose was deteriorating and not replacing at the time?

Yes. Make him try to find out why the hose died.
If cracked from inside out there is a fair chance that something is wrong with the head gasket and exhaust fumes are getting in the coolant system.
The acid formed than will eat up the hoses from inside out, usually the hottest hoses first.
Than you are probably better off replacing all hoses in one go, (and I realy mean ALL) just to prevent you from bleeding the system every 2 weeks till the last hose is replaced.
(This is practical experience).

2)Should I get belts replaced ASAP just in case coolant has run into the belt covers?

May not be required. (I asume they have been replaced with the pump,if not, than replace).
These belts can have something before they start cracking.

Get the coolant out first(drain/wipe/use air gun/wipe and so on)and ceep an eye on them for the next 1000 mls.
TakeCare
Old 04-25-2002, 02:01 PM
Marcus
Instructor

Thanks Hans.

Head gasket was replaced about 2 years ago so could be delayed result of that.

Belts were new and car is due a service in 2k miles so may hang fire and have them checked then.

Quick Reply: Coolant on belts