Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy in town

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 05:49 AM
Ratcals
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New guy in town

Well I’ve been hanging around here for a couple of weeks (mostly the archives) and I guess it’s time to register and introduce myself. My name is Mark and I’m a Porsche addict.

I bought my first one about 18 months ago. It was a 1983 Euro spec 944. I put less than 200 miles on it before some dumb **** drove into the side of it. I was rather fortunate to walk away from that accident since he hit me hard enough to spin the car around 180°. Another foot and he would have hit the driver’s side door and European cars do not have the reinforced doors like the US.

Anyway inside of a couple of weeks I was driving another Euro spec 944. This time a 1985.5. I had that car for about a year before the timing belt went out on it. It seems I was misinformed as to when it had been changed. Of course we all know what happens when the timing belt goes. The rest of the car was in great shape so I felt it worth the cost of having the valves redone. Unfortunately the garage who did the work over tightened the belt causing the balance shaft to start burrowing into the engine block. Like I said the car was in great shape but not good enough to cover the cost of replacing the engine.

So on to Porsche #3, a US spec 1986 951. It’s got some issues but I got it for a good price. Needless to say the first thing I did was replace the timing belt. I won’t fall for that trick again. I don’t really know jack about cars but I want to learn. I plan on attempting to do most of the necessary repairs myself. So expect a lot of dumb questions coming from this way.
Old 11-29-2002, 05:59 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Hi, welcome
Just ask, you will be amaized how fast the response will be.
Remember to get the belts re-tensioned 1500 mls after installation.
TakeCare
Old 11-29-2002, 01:00 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome

I also have 3 944s, but still own all three

One is in Europe, the other in the Caribbean and the third is shipping to Europe as we speak, as I'll be moving there in Dec/Jan of this year.

I plan on selling the Caribbean car and keeping the other two:

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/951S209.jpg" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/951S209.jpg</a>

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/S2-Pilot.JPG" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/S2-Pilot.JPG</a>

It's always good to hear from other 944 owners. The 86 951 is a great car and a good candidate for modifications.

Enjoy it!
Old 11-29-2002, 03:38 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Must say you are rather "hooked".

Can't figure out how an over tightened counter balance belt would cause a counter balance shaft to fail. The belt is rather tenuous and the shafts over designed.

Perchance the pulley for the counter balance was not properly secured allowing the shaft to move end to end.

Still worth keeping for parts as the UK has a definite shortage of these cars.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:03 PM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

As a recent newcomer... WELCOME!
Old 12-06-2002, 06:54 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by ratcals:
<strong>Well I’ve been hanging around here for a couple of weeks (mostly the archives) and I guess it’s time to register and introduce myself. My name is Mark and I’m a Porsche addict.

I bought my first one about 18 months ago. It was a 1983 Euro spec 944. I put less than 200 miles on it before some dumb **** drove into the side of it. I was rather fortunate to walk away from that accident since he hit me hard enough to spin the car around 180°. Another foot and he would have hit the driver’s side door and European cars do not have the reinforced doors like the US.

Anyway inside of a couple of weeks I was driving another Euro spec 944. This time a 1985.5. I had that car for about a year before the timing belt went out on it. It seems I was misinformed as to when it had been changed. Of course we all know what happens when the timing belt goes. The rest of the car was in great shape so I felt it worth the cost of having the valves redone. Unfortunately the garage who did the work over tightened the belt causing the balance shaft to start burrowing into the engine block. Like I said the car was in great shape but not good enough to cover the cost of replacing the engine.

So on to Porsche #3, a US spec 1986 951. It’s got some issues but I got it for a good price. Needless to say the first thing I did was replace the timing belt. I won’t fall for that trick again. I don’t really know jack about cars but I want to learn. I plan on attempting to do most of the necessary repairs myself. So expect a lot of dumb questions coming from this way.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 12-06-2002, 07:00 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts
I'm new to this, so I hope this posts OK. I've always been impressed with Porsche and last spring found an 85.5 944, previous owner in prison and car was in a barn for two years, I bought it from Her Majesty, proceed of crime thing, After about $ 6000 it is really OK, except that I ve' just blown the clutch centre, Lots of slack in the drive line, but wait till spring. have you managed to get your car(s) on a racetrack yet.

[quote]Originally posted by ratcals:
<strong>Well I’ve been hanging around here for a couple of weeks (mostly the archives) and I guess it’s time to register and introduce myself. My name is Mark and I’m a Porsche addict.

So on to Porsche #3, a US spec 1986 951. It’s got some issues but I got it for a good price. Needless to say the first thing I did was replace the timing belt. I won’t fall for that trick again. I don’t really know jack about cars but I want to learn. I plan on attempting to do most of the necessary repairs myself. So expect a lot of dumb questions coming from this way.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Quick Reply: New guy in town