Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange black canister in 944 cab!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 07:03 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Post Strange black canister in 944 cab!

In the right side cargo area in the luggage compartment in my fathers 944 Turbo Cab there is a black canister. The canister feels very solid and has no cables or anything, it is just very properly secured to the walls.

I do not know what it is but it seems like a weight! But I have never heard anything about that kind of weight there..
Anyone one?
Old 05-13-2002, 08:29 AM
jrock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have asked the same ? and have yet to find out what this is for.
jrock
Old 05-13-2002, 08:43 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if it's got a Porsche symbol and part number, then it was probably put there for some reason. Maybe not a good reason though! If nothing goes into it or out of it, then you could always remove it and inspect it. See if there's any plugs, hoses, cables or anything that should connect to it. See if there's a part number on it, and call your dealer and ask what it is. Then sell it on ebay, and describe it as a high-performance Porsche ballasting device.

Since you've both got cabs, and I've never seen such a thing in my coupe, I'd assume it has something to do with your retractable roof.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:46 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Duke:
<strong>In the right side cargo area in the luggage compartment in my fathers 944 Turbo Cab there is a black canister. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Turbo cab? didn't they only make a handful of those? You aren't in the US are you?
Old 05-13-2002, 09:01 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by Dave:
<strong>

Turbo cab? didn't they only make a handful of those? You aren't in the US are you?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes they are very rare, only about 525 made!
This particular car is as good as new. It has never been driven in bad weather and it only has 14900 miles on the odometer!
The car resides in Sweden.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:04 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by IanM:
<strong>Well, if it's got a Porsche symbol and part number, then it was probably put there for some reason. Maybe not a good reason though! If nothing goes into it or out of it, then you could always remove it and inspect it. See if there's any plugs, hoses, cables or anything that should connect to it. See if there's a part number on it, and call your dealer and ask what it is. Then sell it on ebay, and describe it as a high-performance Porsche ballasting device.

Since you've both got cabs, and I've never seen such a thing in my coupe, I'd assume it has something to do with your retractable roof.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Haha I will try the Ebay-thing!

At first we thought it was something for the roof, like a motor or something but since no cables goes in our out my guess is that it is there to maintain the perfect weight balance after chopping the roof off.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:05 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Talking

The piece you are referring to is a vibration damper/balancer(?). It's supposed to be able to move a little bit. I am at work and don't have my books here. But are turbo cab, very nice! Are you overseas?
Old 05-13-2002, 10:57 AM
TomH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, it is a vibration/dampner found on all cabs due to the loss of body stiffness provided by a coupe (hartop). Its interesting that there is only one, and it is on the right side.

Quick Reply: Strange black canister in 944 cab!