Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Rear Balance shaft seal leaking should I fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:43 AM
jstand22
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Rear Balance shaft seal leaking should I fix?

So I just finally put my new head gasket on, torqued the head down, timed the cams, had already put the rear belt cover, and crank gear back on, and finally found my mystery oil leak-- from the rear seal on the upper shaft. Should I re-seal? I'd have to take the crank gear and rear belt cover off again right? What else?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:38 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

If you can feel the plug at the rear of the BS housing move at all the seal between it and the housing has shrank. Many people just clean it up real well and apply a good layer of Loctite 574 or oil resistant Permatex sealant. I've found three engines so far that have that plug flopping around. Odd thing is they didn't all leak. The other option requires removing the entire BS assembly which is no fun with the engine in the car.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
If you can feel the plug at the rear of the BS housing move at all the seal between it and the housing has shrank. Many people just clean it up real well and apply a good layer of Loctite 574 or oil resistant Permatex sealant. I've found three engines so far that have that plug flopping around. Odd thing is they didn't all leak. The other option requires removing the entire BS assembly which is no fun with the engine in the car.
+1 on that. BTW, the leak is just a messy thing, it won't cause harm to the BS or any other issues. However, it will drip in all the wrong places and make a real mess under the car.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:12 PM
eniac
Drifting

Hondabond(Permatex Ultra-Grey) will give you at least couple extra leak free years if done properly.

...that reminds me...I'll post a new thread...
Old 09-17-2008, 03:34 PM
jstand22
Pro

I was asking because the intake and everything is already off so the BS housing is totally exposed (except i put the crank gear and rear belt cover on), but tell me more about these sealants....where to buy, which one's best.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jstand22
I was asking because the intake and everything is already off so the BS housing is totally exposed (except i put the crank gear and rear belt cover on), but tell me more about these sealants....where to buy, which one's best.
If that's the case, just replace the seal. It's a quick job, just a lot of bolts, no big deal...
Old 09-17-2008, 04:04 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by jstand22
Then I would change the o-ring if you have almost everything already off to remove the cover. Hondabond can be bought at any Honda dealer or permatex Ultra-Grey is pretty much the same thing that can be bought at any parts store.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:15 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

574 will not work in an external environment like that, it only seals in an anaerobic environment. IE, between two mated surfaces. It will stay a liquid goo. Orange RTV on the other hand will work just fine as a temporary fix until you want to tear it all down and fix the correct way.

Quick Reply: Upper Rear Balance shaft seal leaking should I fix?