Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Types of headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 01:34 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by enzos_nightmare:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 89magic98:
<strong>I just ordered a pair of these Sylvania Silverstar bulbs:

<a href="http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm" target="_blank">http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm</a>

They are a sealed-beam replacement for my '87 924s, mine were part number H6024ST.

Supposedly they will "look" whiter, with a 4100K color temperature. I will post pictures when I do the install.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">The ones I installed earlier were just the basic H6024 lights. I want to upgrade to the H4 kit or even the Iceshark kit soon so I did not want to spend the money on something more expensive.

How long do these lights usually last? The ones I removed today look like they have been in there for 10 years. I have owned the car almost four years and never had to replace them until today.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">The lights I got were $50 for the pair including shipping + handling, and that includes a $10 rebate direct from sylvania.

The "original" lights are H6024, mine lasted at least 11+ years (since I have had the car). I think they are the original 16 year old lights.

I think you could find the original H6024 lights on something like <a href="http://www.autozone.com" target="_blank">www.autozone.com</a> for about $10 a piece, and they are regularly stocked in most locations. So, maybe that would be an acceptable interim solution for you.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:23 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
enzos_nightmare,

The prices for my headlight upgrade are listed on Danno's gururacing.net site under lighting.

Read some of the links to Rennlist threads also so you understand the various products out in the market place.

If you are short on cash and can't go with the "Full Boat" kit, you can do it in stages. First get the Cibie headlights.

Then you need to decide on bulbs. The Osram/Sylvania SilverStars mentioned in a previous post are fine bulbs. A little expensive, though. I have a few of the German Osram SilverStar in H4 (the Sylvania subsidiary doesn't make H4 bulbs anymore, as far as I know) sitting here and they work nice. They only come in 55/60 watt which is probably what you want to use anyway on stock wiring.

Or you can go with overwatt bulbs like the 90/100 watt that are in the photos on the GuruRacing web site running on stock wiring. Those pictures were taken by Ben S. after he got my Cibie lenses and 90/100 bulbs. He did a pile of testing which he posted to Rennlist. And Danno made up the page and put it on his site out of the goodness of his heart out of the blue, I guess because he really liked the lenses I sold him. In other words, I had nothing to do with the photos so you can trust them as being representative of real world performance.

There are two problems running overwatt bulbs on stock wiring, though. First is you may melt the OEM headlight plug, wiring and/or burn up the light switch. You may or may not get away with it. I warn my customers about this but many have gone this route and are doing OK.

Second is the voltage drop through OEM wiring. Halogen lumen (light) output varies at the 3.4th power to voltage changes. So drop your voltage by 15% off design and you will see a 50% drop in lumen output. And I guarantee you will have a fair sized voltage drop with OEM. You leave an awful lot of potential light on the table when you don't redo the OEM wiring.

In summary, do the upgrade in steps if cash is tight. Just the first step will really help you out as you can see in Ben's pics.

Quick Reply: Types of headlight bulbs