Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Prob (Fuel System Related??)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:52 PM
pcutt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Prob (Fuel System Related??)

I had a problem starting today that nearly left me stranded across town. Any ideas what the problem is and suggestions for a fix?

Here's the background of my car:
- 86 944 NA
- Daily driver, great example of a well sorted out car.
- 1 fuel injector replaced 6 weeks ago, other three injectors had O-rings replaced.

Here's what happened:
- Drove on freeway for 20 minutes, parked car for 1 hour on an errand. Restarted and drove on freeway for another 20 minutes. So at this point everything was working fine.
- Parked for 30 minutes, and upon restart it ran for about 2 seconds and died. Cranked nice and hard but will not start. Replaced the fuel sender fuse and attempted to restart but unsuccessful. Replaced DME with my fresh new DME I've been carrying in my toolkit but attempts to restart are unsuccessful. No smell of raw gasoline under the hood.
- Waited 60 minutes and it restarted and ran nice and strong. But I didn't trust it enough to drive home across town so I did an experiment and after 2 minutes of idling I turned it off and restarted, and it ran for about 10 seconds and died. I attempted to restart right away and was successful, so I kept it running and drove home 5 min away with no probs.
- Now parked at home where I can work on it over the weekend.

Any ideas on the prob and a fix?

Last edited by pcutt; 09-13-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:23 AM
jmd_forest
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you already replaced the DME Relay, it sounds like the DME unit has cracked solder joints that open up after a "heat soak". Check out this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...referrerid=204

jmd_forest

Quick Reply: Starting Prob (Fuel System Related??)