Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accident :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 02:12 AM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face accident :(

got in a little crash on the way home tonight. just barely grazed a median coming off of an offramp, going probably 40. kept sliding along the railing until it hit the end, at which time it sorta crunched. *ouch*

Car was still running, and semi-drivable afterward. no other cars around, so that was good. the front driver's side is pretty mashed, but it was still turning ok, and the engine never stopped, or even felt different. The damage looks pretty nasty though, bent up hood, smashed down front edge, drivers side tire deflated after 15 minutes or so.

I have good coverage, with a $1k deductable. (through progressive)I really don't know what they're going to say about it. I don't know what the normal method is for dealing with an accident like this, I'm thinking they'll be close to totalling it, but maybe I'm wrong. it's a late 85, almost 150k on the clock.

Hey, at least my clutch is the LAST of my problems. and besides, the front paint was getting pretty chipped up anyways

Any sagely advice for dealing with the insurance company, or other ideas? I'm still pretty shaken up, and bummed that the car's all F'd up. it was pretty. Looks like the fuchs survived ok, so that's some consilation!
Old 12-18-2002, 04:01 AM
Ratcals
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$1k deductible? Ouch!
Old 12-18-2002, 12:08 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I know it's hard to cheer up, but the important thing is really that no one was hurt.

With a $1K deductible, it's less likely that the company will total it. It's very important, however, that you work closely with the insurance adjuster when the damage is estimated. Keep in mind that this is an old car and there are literally hundreds of them in junk yards to get parts from.

Having said that, it's a big difference to estimate repairs with used parts than with new. If the insurance company will allow it, I suggest you start looking for a donor car in your area and a decent (not necessarily the most well known) body shop that is willing to WORK on the car with USED parts from a parts car.

Be sure to get an estimate from the body shop before meeting with the adjuster. If it comes in under $1K with used parts, then at least you know where you stand. If it's higher, it'll still be less than with new parts making it less likely for the car to be totaled.

Most insurance adjusters are used to dealing with the "big boys" in town, which are usually very well known, very good body shops which mainly work with newer cars, meaning they "change parts" more than they do "body work." There are always lesser known places who are used to dealing with "old car" situations like yours and will work with you so that the car is not totalled.

Again, cheer up. Your car sounds repairable if adjusted by someone who understands your situation.

Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply: accident :(