Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC removal Q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002 | 02:16 PM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

Post AC removal Q's

Quick question... what is involved with the removal of the AC system in a 924S? The car I am getting has an AC system taht doesn't work and I don't need it - relatively speaking... I consider it to be extra weight.
Old 11-27-2002 | 02:32 PM
Joel
Instructor

How far do you want to go? You can remove the a/c compressor by buying an a/c delete bracket. It basically places your alternator where the a/c compressor was. You will also need a smaller belt, which comes with the kit. The bracket is needed so you can use the turnbuckle adjuster on the alternator (where previously it was hooked to the a/c compressor). Check Paragon and Broadfoot Racing. A few weeks ago Broadfoot was unloading the bracket for a pretty good price.

To take it a bit further you can remove the a/c unit from under the dash. The a/c and heating units are completely separate, so you won't affect heat by removing the a/c unit. You will have cut the a/c lines and snake them out of the firewall. The unit under the dash is not that difficult to remove. You will have two holes in the firewall, however, so plan to block those off somehow (rubber plug, glue, or duct tape for a temporary fix). Also, you should fashion a bracket to hold the lower panel (below the glove box) because there will be nothing to hold it steady. Just make sure passengers getting in and out of the car don't kick it until you brace it up.

The weight savings is around 50lbs. You'll gain a little bit of horse power by not having to drive the a/c compressor and with the weight savings. I did this exact thing to my car. Except for driving the car to the track on a really hot day I don't mind that the a/c is gone (especially because it never worked to begin with!).
Old 11-27-2002 | 03:28 PM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by Joel:
<strong>How far do you want to go?
To take it a bit further you can remove the a/c unit from under the dash. </strong><hr></blockquote>Exactly what I wanted to hear - more weight savings.

Quick Reply: AC removal Q's