Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok I'm back! And could use some help once again.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 10:56 PM
Joe944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ok I'm back! And could use some help once again.

Alright for those of you who remember what I posted (months ago lol) well I *finally* have some time to work on my car with break starting this thursday for me. (hooray)

Anyways, here's the problem:

As far as compression goes, I have 150 in 3 holes and 125 or so in the last hole (forget which one it was, been a while since I did the compression test.

It runs like absolute crap, idle is very put-put like and basically sounds like it runs on 3 cylinders. Definite loss of power when I drove it.

I let it warm up and it seems to get a "little" better but not much. Power loss still very very apparent.

Any suggestions? Could it be a valve/headgasket/failing injector or something of the sort? Or maybe something simpler... don't know.

The problem is I don't have money to go spending on different parts to see if it might fix the problem, being a poor student heheh. My dad is a mechanic but he hasn't been much help because he doesn't like working on my car with me much lol, but he said he would over break.

Also, anyone near Burlingame, Ca thats knows quite a bit about these cars that could help?

I already replaced cap/rotor and put new plugs in there as it was needing it pretty badly.

Well thanks for reading my long post and please help! Been without my car for probably 8 months now =(
Old 12-17-2002, 11:31 PM
Tabor
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by Joe944:
<strong>Any suggestions? Could it be a valve/headgasket/failing injector or something of the sort? Or maybe something simpler... don't know.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is usually rings or valves. It can't be the injectors and I doubt it is the head gasket. 150 is low for a 944 NA, 125 is REALLY low for a 944 NA. Their is a test to determine if it is your rings or valves, but I don't remember it.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:55 PM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey all -

Tabor is right, the test you're looking for is a leakdown test.

Get one done, or get a kit and do it yourself. You'll prolly find a headgasket job in your future though - that's my bet.

How's the spark plug look on the bad cyl? Very clean? REAL dirty?

HTH!
Old 12-18-2002, 01:41 AM
emilysgranny
Pro

Joe ; Tabor is right about the compression being very low. Take the dme relay out . This will kill the fuel pump. Next turn over the engine for a few revs , it should not start,or maybe start and stall immediately. Now remove the plugs and take your compression readings. Got them ? now squirt a little oil in each cyl. If your compression readings increase alot ,its the rings . If it doesn't, its the valves.A broad rule of thumb on the n/a is look to the valves in the 125-150k range and the rings at the 175k +.This is really open to how the engine is maintained though.These engines if taken care of are generally good for 200k+. HTH and have a Merry Xmas.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:47 AM
Joe944
Racer

The plug was pretty dirty when I checked it.

What is the compression supposed to be at?
Old 12-18-2002, 02:58 AM
emilysgranny
Pro

off the top of my head ,I think its 185-195

Quick Reply: Ok I'm back! And could use some help once again.