Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think my clutch or tranny just blew up.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Think my clutch or tranny just blew up.

Oh crap. I had a feeling my clutch was a bit odd for a while now. The car kind of was jumpy in shifts and when letting off the throttle it'd jerk back and forth a bit sometimes.

now today pretty much everytime I shift into second and 3rd gear it makes a definite "Clunk" sound seems to be coming from teh torque tube or even rear of the car like the tranny area.

is this likely the clutch? or could it be the transmission. Sometimes i think I hear it from the clutch area but sometimes the clunk kind of sound like it comes fromt eh tranny or rear tire area.

symptoms are no clunk or anything while driving with cltuch out. clunk is only heard on clutch release going into second gear and third.

don't hear a clunk when starting in first. I heard this clunking before like last year when going up hills sometimes nad then it went away and today it seems worse and I fear the clutch or trans is gone.

this is my daily driver to university lol and it takes 3 hours to bus to my university so I have to get this fixed.

now I don't exactly have 1600 bucks lying around right now. I talked to my porsche shop they told me 8.5 hours at $109/ hour with tax thats just over 1000 in labour and cheapest clutch kit i"ve found shipped to me is like 600 bucks on ebay.

now I know it's best to get a clutch kit but right now i'm going pretty broke and I need a vehicle to get to school so can I just pay to have a new clutch disk put on and keep the old pressure plate / release bearing?

what are the symptoms of a bad release bearing or pressure plate?

also where can I find the cheapest clutch disk?

also if anyone in teh van area can help me replace the clutch that'd be nice.

I can't do it myself as I only have a day to two off a week and that's not going to be enough for me to do it myself.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I just noticed my exhaust is missing one strap and is a little loose but when I shake it it doesn't look like it can make contaact with anything.

could the exhaust clunk only when teh clutch is releasing?

I put the car on stands again now and I removed the trans inspection cover and the drive shaft still feels pretty tight moves about 1-2 mm left and right .

I'm removing the starter now to see if there is any evidence of rubber pieces falling apart.

what else can I do to test to see if the clunk is in fact a bad clutch or a bad trans or cv joints? maybe the loose exhaust?

i'm having my mechanic check it out in 2 weeks. but now I can't order a new clutch yet because i'm not 100% sure it is a bad clutch.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:25 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. it sounds like the clutch centre has sheared and the disk is banging against the limp home metal stops. It happened to me and i drove two years like that but it cost the R&P because it banged all the time. The repair is big and is a weekend on your back with a lot of frustration. I'd save the money and have a shop do it.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I have arleady made the decison to pay a shop as I go to school and work and only have one day off a week and need the car.

anyways I don't want to spend 1600 which I don't have right now if the clutch isn't bad for sure.

isn't the driveshaft in the transmission suppose to have slack and be loose if the clutch is bad?

I removed the rubber cover on the trans and tried to turn the driveshaftleft and right and it is pretty tight.

I also just removed the starter motor and see now chunks of rubber.

also noticed something else. with the car on stands if I try and turn the rear wheels (both in the same direction) they move a bit before locking and not moving anymore is this normal?

Also my rear exhaust is a bit loose (missing a rubber strap) I'm going to try and secure that tomorrow but I doubt that is the cause.

if ti is the clutch can it be driven like this for another few weeks with teh clunking? I have to wait until the 15th to order a new clutch then make an appointment for probably early october to get teh clutch replaced if it is gone.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

okay I did some tests.....

I put the car on stands. I put the trany in gear with teh car running then I got someone to sit in the car and depresse the clutch and release it and the clunk does not come from the front of the car or the engine area.

rather the whole tansmission shakes along with the rear exhaust adn the exhaust is not hitting anything but the shaking of the transmission seems to make a clunk .

now could this still be a bad clutch? or is it likely that trany is messed up or could it just be bad tranny mounts?

I now have a feeling it is tranny related as in bad tranny or just bad transmssion mounts.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm lazy and will just cut and paste an older post. To test your clutch:

Pull the rubber inspection cover on the transaxle and see if the TT shaft can be turned by hand with the clutch engaged; may sure the TT coupling splines aren't sheared on the shaft or TA side. If you can turn the TT shaft more than an 1/8" with the clutch engaged; your clutch disc is toast.

If you turn the rear wheels in gear and they travel long before the input shaft on the TA turns your R&P is shot.

Sounds like a typical rubber disc separation to me though.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yeah I tried that, it seemed tight only moved slightly.

read my post above yours. The clunk definately comes from teh transmission area not the clutch area and the transmission shakes when I engage the clutch (car on stands and running) and goes clunk.

would a bad clutch cause the transmission to shake and clunk?

I thought maybe I could be lucky and it's just a shot trans mount. the hole transmssion and rear exhaust shake when I engage teh clutch but I don't see anything banging into each other when teh clunk occurs.

could the clunk be internal in the transmission?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to come out to Abbotsford, I can help you do your clutch for much cheaper than any shop will.
Assuming it's your clutch. If it's your transaxle, that can be swapped in a few hours and a used one can be found for less than a clutch.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:24 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
yeah I tried that, it seemed tight only moved slightly.

read my post above yours.
Sorry I read that wrong.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by marksportcts
If you want to come out to Abbotsford, I can help you do your clutch for much cheaper than any shop will.
Assuming it's your clutch. If it's your transaxle, that can be swapped in a few hours and a used one can be found for less than a clutch.
^ thanks mark, I'll keep that in mind. like I said I'm not 100% sure as what it is yet.

could be clutch, transmission or a transmission mount.

I have an appointment at weissach on september 15 and they'll tell me if it is the clutch or transmission causing the clunk.

I'll send you a pm after I bring the car to weissach.

do you have a shop in abottsford?

if my whole transmission is shaking and clunk is coming from that area (car raised on stands), when the clutch is released that sounds like a trans or mount problem to me. I did not hear the clunk coming from the bellhousing area but the clunk only happens when the clutch is released and that causes the trans to move side to side and clunk once.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Yeah, my workshop is in Abbotsford. Have them diagnose the problem, but ask Rich Sandor about what they charge for doing a clutch job.....
Old 09-05-2008, 01:38 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

If you found rubber in the bell housing, I bet you have a bad clutch disk and a collapsed engine mount.

The inertia jerk of the bad clutch disk is causing the engine, torque tube AND transaxle to shift (exhaust too!)

I'm willing to go out on a limb here and guess that your car has about 100k miles and has never had the clutch done... which all points to a bad rubber center on the clutch disk.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:44 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

nope my car has 256,000 kms on it and the previous owner told me he put in a new sachs clutch kit but he had receipts for everything else but the clutch but who knows maybe he did replace it.

is it likely that the car can have the original rubber clutch at 256,000 kms? that's like 150k miles or more.

I did not find any rubber when I removed the starter but that doesn't mean anything. Like I said when I release the clutch with the car on jacks and in gear the transaxel shakes with the rear exhaust and clunks but I could not hear clunks coming from the bellhousing but yeah I'm no professional mechanic so I don't know.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by marksportcts
Yeah, my workshop is in Abbotsford. Have them diagnose the problem, but ask Rich Sandor about what they charge for doing a clutch job.....
well I don't think weissach would rip you off, it's just that 944 clutch replacemetn isn't the easiest thing to do.

I talke to stuart at weissach and he said 8.5 hours if it is the clutch but he said he'll find out if it is the clutch or trans first.

8.5 hours seems right to me but their labour is pretty expensive at 109/ h so labour is still a killer.

weissach sells their parts at pretty high prices. I didn't ask them how much a clutch kit costs from them but I'm guessing probably a 1000 bucks.

if it is the clutch i'll order one online .

I'm crossing my fingers that it could just be a shot transmission mount.

a bad transmission doesn't sound too much better than a bad clutch though. I'd need to find a used good transmission locally.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:58 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Bad transmission mount it way easier than a clutch, two hours max. I've done transmissions removed in under an hour.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Think my clutch or tranny just blew up.