Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Rack Tie Rod ends.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 06:04 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Post Steering Rack Tie Rod ends.

I'm trying to get the steering rack off and I cannot figure out the tie rod ends? We have both the top bolts off where they conect by the brake rotor but they the shaft that runs up them will not come out. Also one of the bolts we cannot get out cause it just keeps spinning with the shaft. Maybe the pictures will help.

[img] members.rennlist.com/dan87951/steeringrack.jpg [/img]

[img] members.rennlist.com/dan87951/steeringrack1.jpg [/img]

Thanks
Old 06-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those are a simple taper fit. Some people use a tie rod pickle fork to separate them, although I used the recommended small gear puller to pull the steering knuckle off of the tie rod end.

The one that spins as you try to turn the locknut must already be loose. You can try holding the end of the bolt with a vise-grip clamp while you free up the lock nut. By the look of the corrosion, lots of penetrating oil and maybe some heat would also help. If this doesn't work, you may be able to use a clamp to drive the tie rod end into the taper of the steering knuckle until it binds, then loosen the nut. Try breaking the nut free in the tightening direction, then once it moves a bit loosen it. This will help the taper fit to bind.

I have heard of a 951 steering knuckle being worn out of round due to a loose tie rod end. This caused slack in the steering. You should check this; you may need to get a used spindle if it is a problem.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:30 PM
Carl Nall
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can purchase a cheap "compact" tie rod puller at Autozone that will work. They really should let go relatively easily.

You could carefully apply pressure to the bottom of the tie-rod end in order to remove the nut (a jack perhaps?)
Old 06-06-2003, 07:30 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Dan IIRC the nut for the tie rod end is on top, in which case you can take a floor or bottle jack and aplly a little upward pressure on the tie rod. This will keep the tapered ball joint from turning while you loosen the nut.

When the nuts are both off, put the flat part of a hammer againt the spindle right where the tie rod passes through and strike that hammer with another equally sized hammer, the vibration from the impact will cause the tie rod to free itself....

TS
Old 06-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I had this problem on one of my other cars. If you have access to an impact wrench/air compressor you'll be able to get the stubborn nut off in no time. If not, I was able to use a skinny pair of vice grips, some cursing and repeated attempts.

Now, to separate I highly recommend a cheap tie rod separator at your local parts store. IIRC they were about $10. Just hammer away on that puppy and it'll come off. You'll probably ruin your tie rod boots, but they're cheap to replace.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Thanks guy I finally got it off but the rubber boot on the tie rod end got destroyed in the process so I think I will need one new tie-rod end to replace it. It looks like the old tie-rod end is threaded on, can I just mark how far the old tie rod was threaded on and just thread the new tie rod end on to that mark? The steering in this car has always been very tight and new feeling so I don't think it needs new spindles like someone sugguested?? Will the car need an alignment job after the new tie-rod end is installed?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Oh yea I forgot to tell you how hilarious one of the tie rod ends fell off. A buddy of mine were just sitting there thinking as hard as we can wondering why the heck this stubborn SOB will not come off, then all of a sudden we hear a big thunk CRASH sound. We look under the car and the tie rod end just fell right off!! We were like wow because 2 minutes ago we were bashing it with a hammer on the top part of the nut and it wouldn’t even budge. Ahh anyways a big sign of relief for us as we used that end of the tie rod as leverage to get the other side off.

On another note if anyone has any tips on getting the motor through the bottom I would appreciate it. Can I just bolt the cross over bar to the motor along with the motor mounts and put the engine in that way? I really would like to have the headers, crossover pipe, intake, alternator, and power steering all bolted in as I lift the engine up. Is this possible? One finally questions what’s a good cleaner to clean the engine bay with? I have been using some soap and water along with some degreaser but would like to get it a little better.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I count the number of turns when I remove the tie rod end. Sound like the spindles are OK and you should get the alignment check.

Next time go to AutoZone, they have a tool loan program and they have tie rod end pullers. Engine in the bottom, I use a engine host to pull it up, then attach the cross bar. If you lift it with the cross bar, you will have to support the back of the engine since it tends to tip if you don't. The cross bar isn't in the Center of gravity of the engine.

I also leave the intake off so I don't hurt it and it makes the hose connections a lot easier. Don't connect the alternator before you install it.

I use engine degreaser, works for me. Acetone is a great solvent but very flammable.

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Tie Rod ends.