Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:45 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Headlight motor issue

I really need to learn to leave things alone. My headlights were working fine. I previously ripped the protective cap and I went in to get the part number off of it. When I did the connector came out (not the relay). I put it back in and now the headlights go up fine but will not retract (lights come off). I can manualy lower it and again it goes up fine but will not retract. The connection seems fine, one of the pins looks bent but it does line up fine when connected. Any thoughts?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:08 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

What do you mean by the connector? Are you talking about the socket for the relay?

If so, you broke it. Go back and re-attach the contacts, and if that doesn't work, you have very bad luck/timing and something else is wrong. Seems like the obvious place to start.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:57 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
What do you mean by the connector? Are you talking about the socket for the relay?

If so, you broke it. Go back and re-attach the contacts, and if that doesn't work, you have very bad luck/timing and something else is wrong. Seems like the obvious place to start.

Its not the relay but the plug that is beside the relay. they fit very tight. In fact, I had to remove the relay to first put in the plug then replace the relay. I did disconnect the battery first. I just don't know why it goes up fine every time but will not go down.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:37 AM
84-944_REDLINE
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem with my headlights. They were working fine and I didn't do anything to them - and one day they wouldn't go down. The lights turn off, but they just stay in the up position.

I turned the lights back on and off repeatedly, and they would retract some of the time. On the times they wouldn't, I manually tried lowering them (with very little pressure) and they would then retract down. While going back down, they made a bit of a shuddering noise - not a smooth sound.

I'll spend some time and see what I can do (if anything) to resolve my issue. If I have any helpful information, I'll be sure to pass it along. Please do the same!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:28 AM
84-944_REDLINE
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if what I experienced will help you at all, but I got my headlights back to working correctly last night.

The plug next to the relay was the cause of my headlight problem. I had taken the relay out (battery disconnected) to check it out and manually raise and retract the headlights. I read in another post that manually turning the **** would find a new "sweet spot" and may allow the headlights to function properly. Well, I tried that, but no luck for me.

I connected the battery and thought I'd give the lights a try again...same thing - stay in the up position. I was looking around at the headlight motor and arm and was adjusting the boot covering the relay and plug - and the lights all of a sudden went down!

Turns out it was how the plug next to the relay was sitting. I wiggled it a bit and tried making a more solid connection. That seemed to do the trick and now the headlights work properly.

See if wiggling the plug causes any movement to the headlights!

Quick Reply: Headlight motor issue