Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help - Turbo brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008 | 09:46 PM
DKillaPorsche
Advanced

Default Need some help - Turbo brake conversion

Hey all,

I know there has been a number of posts on this topic but there hasnt really been one which is all that specific and to the point. I have an '83 NA and looking at upgrading to turbo brakes and suspesion as a means of increasing my level of enjoyment. I am toying with the idea of changing out the engine but i might start of slow as the old 4 banga NA is still a lot of fun- even after 7 years. I also understand there is the Rennbay kit but seeing that i am in Australia makes this a bit unfeasible - in terms of postage and the currently low exchange rate.

At the moment i have easy access, and fairly cheap too, to turbo front and rear arms, struts with adjustable coilover conversion on the front, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers with pads (both rotors and pads at 95%). I can get all this for about the same price as getting the Rennbay Kit to OZ.

I also have 16" Fuchs rims so it all should fit from what i understand. I do have some other questions though:

1. Just wanted to find out if the ally turbo arms will easily replace the early pressed steel ones?

2. Is there any need to change out anything in the braking system before the actual brakes - i.e. lines, master cylinders, etc?

3. Will the '83 steering match up with the turbo ally arms (assuming they fit in)?

I know its alot to change out, etc but im not planning on selling my car - ive had it too long to part with - and to be honest i prefer the euro '83 shape over the turbo look. So really i just want to upgrade it to have a bit more fun.

At the end of the day i just want to confirm if the entire turbo brake and suspension assemblies will directly replace that on the '83. If the response i get is all good i will be going ahead with it and i intend to document things well to make life easier for others.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 09-03-2008 | 09:57 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

all this depends on what year the turbo car is. if its an 86, then its plug and play. if its an 87 or later, than things are going to be complicated.
Old 09-03-2008 | 10:22 PM
DKillaPorsche
Advanced

Yeah i just confirmed - its all 86 gear. So does that mean im in the clear with all the lil goodies?
Old 09-03-2008 | 10:41 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

As Borys says, it will all fit provided it's 86 gear. Double check on the donor though, if the car has had coil-overs fitted as you say them maybe its had other stuff done like a conversion to late offset. You will also need to use item 2 below otherwise your front brakes will lock and your rears will be less effective:

Old 09-03-2008 | 10:53 PM
DKillaPorsche
Advanced

Is item 2 the proportioning valve off of the turbo?

Sorry - the coilovers are the original turbo shocks which have undergone the coilover modification on the front.
Old 09-04-2008 | 12:08 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Yeah, thats the proportioning valve. The coilovers will fit too.

Quick Reply: Need some help - Turbo brake conversion