Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price for recovering seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 09:42 AM
OC Porsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Price for recovering seats

I went to a few upholstery places yesterday to check prices on recovering the front seats. I got a best price of 700 for a very nice european leather and topstitching ( just like the back seat seams) instead of the factory vinyl piping that goes around the seats now. 175 labor for each seat and the rest in materials.

anyone had this done and can attest to the costs to have it done right.

TIA
Old 05-29-2002, 02:42 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For cloth, I was quoted $245 per seat. But that was for cloth.

And some upholstery places have quoted me astronomical prices for leather recovering, like close to $2000!

$700 for quality leather and stitching sounds pretty reasonable.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:55 PM
icat
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by OC Porsche:
<strong>I went to a few upholstery places yesterday to check prices on recovering the front seats. I got a best price of 700 for a very nice european leather and topstitching ( just like the back seat seams) instead of the factory vinyl piping that goes around the seats now. 175 labor for each seat and the rest in materials.
TIA</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds like a deal to me! I've been looking to do the same and I'd have to jump on that one!
Old 05-29-2002, 03:58 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sean-
Where did you get the $245 for cloth? I would really like to know a few places to keep in mind for when I get my momo Street Racers- if ever I would really like to convert the interior to a white (or linen)- a black dash w/black upper strip on door panels, etc, everythiung below white- I've referred to this as two-tone, and have also heard it referred to as a "deviating" interior- whatever, I want it, but also want it to be nice and new for the most part w/cloth seats- my seats (black) are cloth and have the Porsche script throughout them- i think they look pretty good, and definately like the way the cloth feels, if only the seats themselves felt nice

BTW, I've always understood that it would cost about the same to recover a seat than it would be to just go out and buy one, but that obviously depends on the particular seat in question- the Porsche seats are supposedly pretty pricey, and, so is leather when re-covering- that price doesn't sound too bad, assuming they do good work...
Old 05-29-2002, 04:37 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my price quote at a local shop in Birmingham, Alabama. It was a pretty small operation (a couple of guys inhabiting the kind of garage where auto grease saturates every inch of concrete ).

In fact, the quote was $245 per seat (with the rear seats counting as one seat) - so the total for the whole car would be $725. However, this was for seat centers - the vinyl bolsters in my car are fine.

One of the coolest tips I have received has been the existence of Le Mans Original Fabrics in New Zealand. They carry the original cloth fabric ($75 per metre) that has been used in 70's, 80's, and 90's Porsches. Leather is nice, but there's something to be said for restoring your car to its original condition, right down to the P-script, checkerboard, or pinstripe cloth!

I have been debating between the P-script cloth (that you have in your car Robby) and the original pinstripe cloth that's in my car. I really love that old Porsche script cloth. But due in part to the relentless lobbying of my girlfriend, I'm leaning towards the pinstripe.

I will post photos when my seats are redone.

Old 05-29-2002, 05:00 PM
ram_one
Racer

There's a guy on E-bay that has pre-made seat covers for the seats in vinyl for about $350.
They claim all you need to do is take them to an upholstery shop to install.
Search in eBay for "Porsche Seat"
Ususal disclaimers apply: No affilition. Just saw them as I was perusing.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:34 PM
Sasha
Instructor

Brag...Brag

Did mine myself (well the wife did all the sawing) total cost $30 (vinyl) and a week worth of labor...
Brag...Brag

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:55 PM
James Hamm
Instructor

I bought a set of sport seats last month on Ebay that needed to be recovered. I took them to a local shop here in Fayetteville, NC and the shop owner did them $500 (for the pair). Granted, this was in vinyl (Miami Rubber) but I must say they turned out to be AWSOME. This was material, labor, tax, tag and title. I know many don't like vinyl, but it's far more durable, easy to repair and match should the need arise and unlike dead skin (leather) it doesn't dry rot. Just my two cents

Quick Reply: Price for recovering seats