Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why does my car get so dirty so fast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:31 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I have a black car and use nothing but a polymer top finish. I only use a water wash about 4-5 times a years and it sits outside under a good cover. All it takes is a 90 second walk around with my California Duster and it looks almost like new. If there are finger prints or bird crap I hit the spot with a shot of quick detailer after dusting. The dusters don't work as well on cars with a wax finish if you live in a hot climate. Wax just embeds the dust, polymers let the dust just sit on top and it comes off without scratches every time.

what do you mean by a polymer finish? do you mean to use a polish like nufinish or other car polishes (turtle wax polish etc).

I'll try those california dusters.

I did buy some proper car was soap that contains carnuba wax today, i'm going to stop using dishwashing soap lol.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

trust me, use the california car duster. Takes even less than the 90 seconds kuhl mentioned and literally makes it look like you just washed it, as long as it did not rain.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
I did buy some proper car was soap that contains carnuba wax today, i'm going to stop using dishwashing soap lol.
I hope thats a joke.. Dishwashing soap will strip your wax....
Old 09-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

no not a joke. dishwashing soap is like 99cents and cleans pretty damn good and gets my wheels really clean so I used it for a couple of months. I didn't know it stripped wax so I'll stop using it now.

the thing is I've never waxed the car, I just polished it with the nufinish stuff, says it protects the paint for a year or whatever. not sure if dishwashing soap removes that aswell but I'll stop using it now. I'll still use it on my wheels, it works really good at getting the brake dust off.

I'll try the california duster idea should save me some time.

rainy season is going to start soon though, then I won't have to wash the car as often as the rain will keep it from getting so dusty.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I use that opti no rinse product- it's great in durham because the water ***** are about. It works better than you think it possibly could.
It's expensive but you get a LOT of washes out of it.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:33 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Switching to car wash soap is the first step. This will help greatly. Second thing is you should use a product called "Carnut Helper" from "Joe's Stuff" whenever you wash the car. It's a spray on wax product that after you rinse the car, while it's still wet, spray this on then wipe the car dry. It really helps keep my alpine white 951 clean in between washes and when I do wash it, the dirt comes off much easier. This should be used everytime the car is washed if your not going to wax it. It helps to preserve the existing wax....kinda like a quick touch up. It's very easy to use and only takes about 2 minutes extra to spray it on. PM me if you want more info and I'll send you the name and number of the old man who makes this stuff.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I washed the car this morning with the cheap car was soap I bought, Sundance with carnuba (6 bucks for 1.8 litres) and the paint looks much more glossy / shiny than when i used to wash it with the dish soap not sure if it'll stay cleaner for longer.

I want to try a good liquid wax later when I have time.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:33 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
what do you mean by a polymer finish? do you mean to use a polish like nufinish or other car polishes (turtle wax polish etc).

I'll try those california dusters.

There are two synthetic or polymer finishes that I like. They last longer and protect better than any carnuba wax. I've used Zaino ($$$ and too much work to apply), Meguiars Meguiars and their Speed Glaze. The Meguairs has been the most successful for me. I'm no detailer so I'm sure someone with a 21-piece sable hair detail brush set will sign in. I have never had good results with wax in our hot climate here.

NUFinish is actually a polymer but it has silicone in it so I don't use it on the P-cars or new point.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I should have brought my camera it's all shiny in the parking lot right now with some nice scenery to take pics.

I've seen that meguires nxt tec wax stuff before kind of expensive in the stores here.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 PM
intrepidagent
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Go out and buy a can of wax and a California car duster. It will be just what you need until to repaint it.

Quick Reply: why does my car get so dirty so fast?