Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam lobes and duration (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 11:51 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cam lobes and duration (long)

I am getting ready to replace my cylinder head with a rebuilt one. I bought previously used Items so I could powder coat the cam housing and intake manifold and have a fresh cylinder head. After going thru the manuals I noticed that the earlier cams were 8 degrees less opening on the exhaust valves and were opened later and closed earlier. The later cams are to close the exhaust valve at the exact same time the intake opens, 1 degree after TDC. where in earlier years the exhaust closed 3 degrees before TDC. Now I know that the more you exhaust the better off you are. But I am looking at wear. My car has over a 100 grand on it. Not so sure of the cam I purchased but it is a later cam. Is there some way I can verify how much wear my cam has? I can see where the 1mm of non contact is. But how can I verify the timing and distance of opening on the lobes? Or do I have to send it some where for this? Not much point in doing all this to have a cam that is not maximized..also what would the degrees be on a longer duration cam be and would it be worth looking for such a thing.. Thanks
Old 06-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

ping...

oops...

bump!
Old 06-08-2003, 07:59 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"But how can I verify the timing and distance of opening on the lobes?"

Get a degree-wheel for the cam-gear. Then remove the intake-manifold and put a dial-indicator on the back of the intake-valves to measure timing and duration. Lift will be proportional because you're measuring them at an angle.

Easy way to identify the cam is with the part#. I've got many of them listed under "Cam Specs" on my <a href="http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx" target="_blank">951 RacerX website</a>
Old 06-09-2003, 12:02 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Thanks

Quick Reply: Cam lobes and duration (long)