Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap '85 to '87

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008 | 06:28 PM
nuszmd
Rennlist Member

Default Engine swap '85 to '87

I lost my motor the other day to a double gasketed oil filter....RIP

I am looking for a new (used) motor to swap into my '85 944 NA. What other types of 944 motors will fit in there? How about an '87 944 NA? Would there need to be any major mods to get it to fit? What parts would not be compatible? How about the transaxle and the radiator? I've been looking around on the site (search) for info, but don't see much info on the early 944's. What engines should I be thinking about here with a constrained budget? Thanks for you advice guys!
Old 08-29-2008 | 06:35 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

The long block can bolt directly into the early car and even though there are minor differences, it will work. When you get the exact year motor, I can tell you exactly what to switch.
Old 09-21-2008 | 11:13 PM
nuszmd
Rennlist Member

So I finally got my replacement engine on order. I'm sure that it will take a while to get it shipped to me (Florida --> Colorado). The new motor is from an '83 so I'm hoping that everything will match up. The only thing I'm worried about is the power steering. I know that '83 didn't have power steering, so I'm wondering if I can use the power steering out of my '85. Do you know if it will work?

I've just about got the old motor out. I only need to remove the motor mounts, steering control arms, and the cross member. Hopefully the new motor will go right in.

Also, what types of things should I replace since I have the motor out (low dollar)? I am thinking about gaskets, seals, timing belt, etc. Do I need to order new gaskets for the exhaust? Any help would be welcomed. I'd like to be able to get the new motor in once it arrives without having to stop to await parts.
Old 09-22-2008 | 04:20 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nuszmd
So I finally got my replacement engine on order. I'm sure that it will take a while to get it shipped to me (Florida --> Colorado). The new motor is from an '83 so I'm hoping that everything will match up. The only thing I'm worried about is the power steering. I know that '83 didn't have power steering, so I'm wondering if I can use the power steering out of my '85. Do you know if it will work?
I'm not 100% sure what you'll find on the '83 motor, but you do need a bracket for the power steering pump that is part of the end of the lower balance shaft assembly (the front of the lower bs comes through it).

But if you're swapping, a front seal kit with a water pump/belts/rollers might be a good way to go. If you're already re-sealing, it shouldn't be a big deal if you have to swap the piece I'm talking about.
Old 06-19-2011 | 07:33 PM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

I'm planning a swap FROM an 87 n/a INTO an 85.5 this week, and was also hoping for some tips/pointers/warnings.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Engine swap '85 to '87