Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 01:09 PM
oi-punx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Water in headlights

I just noticed that I have some thick condensation in one of my headlights (passenger side). I got the car back from having the hood painted last week and noticed the condensation after I washed the car. To match the paint they took off the respective headlight cover. I'm thinking that they probably didn't reseal it correctly. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you remedy it? I'm going to take it apart as soon as I can, but want to know what I should look out for.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:49 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What sort of headlights do you have? Some of them that have drain holes punched in the bottom of the reflector have a real problem when they are installed in a flip up headlight car like the 944. And many of them will get moisture in if subjected to a direct, power spray wash at the bulb connector. That could happen if they removed the headlight sheet metal.

You shouldn't to do anything about sealing (make the problem worse), just get the moisture out by burning the bulb or using a heat gun. Then look to see if this water event left any residue on the lens or reflector ... if so you are going to suffer decreased lighting performance and probably should junk the lenses. There is really no way to clean the reflector without micro-scratching it. Sad, but true.

Quick Reply: Water in headlights