Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reversing axles

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 09:31 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Post Reversing axles

Symptom: dreaded clicking in right rear

Relief: Reverse axles or buy a new one.

Which is the proper way to reverse the axles? Do you take the drivers and put it with the original left outside on the right outside or does it go on the right inside? Or even simpler, can you just turn around the right axle within the same space?

Anyone done it? Did it buy real time or did you end up replacing soon afterwards?
Old 06-06-2003, 12:22 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts
Bump, I intend to swap mine, are there any big no-no's? I was going to swap left to right, keeping the tranny/wheel orientation the same, but reversing the rotation direction.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:49 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Sharky, that's how I intended on doing it also.

BUMP
Old 06-06-2003, 09:44 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Yep, leave the orientation the same (left wheel CV to right wheel CV and visa-versa). Also, it's typicially the left CV that wears first, given the proximity of the exhaust - as the heat travels down the shaft to the CV, drying out the grease....

hth.....
Old 06-06-2003, 10:01 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did this about a month ago. Just removed the right side axle assembly and replacaed it with the left side assembly. Did it help? Well, yes some.

I was not getting the clicking but was instead feeling a slight grinding. When I had them out, I pulled the boots back (on the outer CVs) and inspected the *****, they were ok but there was wear to the surfaces that contact the *****. The location of that wear made it apparent that reversing the shafts should help (because that places the wear in a different spot).
I don't have that slight grinding now but there is still some slop in the drivetrain and I think that makes this "fix" of limited value.
To go a little further with this story, I began shopping for rebuilt axles. Autozone has them listed for $80 ea but can not fill the order. With more shopping I find a place called autopartsgiant.com that has them for $57, which is almost too good to be true. I have not yet ordered a pair from them but unless something better comes along, I will.
Then lemesee, I could follow so many before me and sell the old worthless ones on ebay for about $40 ea. Or better, weld them up into some sort of priceless yard art. yea, yea, thats the ticket...Bruce

Quick Reply: Reversing axles