Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP trannny swap nightmare continues

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 02:26 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loosen the bellhousing bolts and wiggle the trans while prying. I've met some pretty stubborn couplers, non stood against that trick tho. I only use a large screwdriver also. Sometimes a very minor variance in machining as far as the alignment dowels goes can be a problem. You'll get it. Good luck
Old 10-01-2005, 01:56 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nine-44
Loosen the bellhousing bolts and wiggle the trans while prying. I've met some pretty stubborn couplers, non stood against that trick tho. I only use a large screwdriver also. Sometimes a very minor variance in machining as far as the alignment dowels goes can be a problem. You'll get it. Good luck
Don't let the transmission hang from the coupler though. Get a jack with a large platform under there first.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:34 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

So loosen, but don't remove the bolts?
Old 10-01-2005, 03:31 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

My problem was that I had slid the coupler onto to the torque tube and somehow it had jammed. The tranny was still out of the car so it was easy for my just to use a 3 prong gear puller to remove it. The real problem was that since the splines are machine to such a tight tolerance that unless I could pry the coupler off perfectly straight it would not move. Once I used the gear puller though it came off with very little force.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:33 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Damn. Thanks for letting me know.

Do you guys think removing the piece of the transmission that is on the rear? If that could be removed easy I could pull the rest of the trans further back, right?

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-01-2005, 03:40 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Porsche deffinately did not leave a lot of room. Make sure the bolts are completely out of the coupler. If you are unable to slide it way back onto the transmission input shaft you will not have enough room to get the tranny out.
On my parts car I just used a sawzall and cut out a section of the spre tire bin so I had plenty of room to move the tranny back. Not Something I would recomend on your car though!
Old 10-01-2005, 03:48 PM
944SuperCar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my old '83 transaxle out by:
1 - taking out all of the rubber bits that cover the holes to get to the coupler bolts
2 - took the bolts COMPLETELY out of the coupler
3 - used a screw driver with a 4 sided shaft so I could put a wrench on it and spread the coupler a little at each end to loosen the grip on the shafts

... and then it slid right back on the transaxle shaft. No problem. This is an '83 with 150K miles on it... doesn't get much older.

THEN I undid the transaxle from the car to get it out.

Today, I am putting my rebuilt transaxle back in... If I run into anything weird, I'll let you know.
Spreading the ends of the couple may have been the key. I learned to take the bolts completely out by removing my steering shaft for an engine swap.

I don't think it should be all that difficult if you follow the above.
Don't unbolt the transaxle from the car until you get the coupler moved.
I wont try to put it back on until the transaxle is back in and bolted up.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:11 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

The rear of the trans will not come off as you think. There's alot to it, the gear sets and shafts are connected. That and the internal linkage locks them in. On the bench getting things lined up to pull it apart or put it together is a two person job and requires both of them to hold their toungs properly

Quick Reply: HELP trannny swap nightmare continues