Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detailing ya porker

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:36 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

lol Yummy, same here

so I just took a look outside on my door - the car is covered in light moisture, but the door I did is looking VERY good, and so is the fender, so hopefully in the next hour as temperature rises and dries off the car, I'll be able to go outside and finish the job

I have untill about noon today, then it's a small Euro g2g
Old 08-31-2008, 12:05 PM
roman944
Drifting

like I'm talking to myself, but I wished I had a good buffer! I went over the car, and most of oxidation is gone; there are a couple severe marks along the top of the fender for as long as the hood goes, which can still be seen if looked at really close, but overall I am very happy

I went over with Turtle Wax's Polishing compound and then with Turtle Wax's Wax, overall I am very happy; I'm sure a good buffer would have taken off a lot more; or maybe a stronger Polishing compound would have taken off a lot more even by hand; but as it is, the shine is definetly there, paint looks much deeper, and best of all is the fact that all the white watery stuff on paint now is gone

we'll see how long it lasts, especially after it rains first

I only did front fenders, doors, quarters, and hood; my front bumper is scratched up and ripped up in bottom right corner, plus it always look(ed) perfect; so is the rear - almost no oxidation, so I just went over it lightly with wad; I also left roof alone, because I almost always drive with T-Top off, so I didn't bother

now, I'm going to look for a paint guy, to respray/repaint the car for me by next summer; during the before and during the winter I should have enough $$$ to get new fiberglass:hood/front and rear bumpers/fenders - and get the whole thing painted sometime around March

the only question now is what are my color options? only outside shell is going to be done (so no stripping/removing engine etc. since the rest of the car looks really good

I want a good nice shade of red, and as close to the original as possible; any ideas?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi Roman, glad you're having success (and getting exercise, too)!

I see no reason why a body shop can't do a guard's red match (either a single stage process like Porsche did, or with a clear coat). If you do go with red with a clear coat, make sure the clear coat is over the entire car - otherwise you'll have parts oxidizing at different rates (the clear coat helps reduce oxidation).

Yummy, I doubt you're "damaging" the paint with your washing technique. I would imagine your car has swirl marks - not that that is bad, but it happens (that's what the buffing helps remove). Obviously, for a deep shine and to have the water really bead up, you'll need to protect the paint some how.

The paste waxes are put on with a sponge or foam applicator. You rub your sponge against the wax - a little wax gets on the sponge, then you rub the sponge on the car. The "rubbing" creates friction that "melts" the wax. After the wax hardens on the car, you "buff" it off (usually by hand with a soft rag or microfiber towel). The softer waxes are easier to apply and easier to buff off - but they don't last as long....

And, again, the wax helps protect the paint by filling in microscopic depression and creating a slippery layer that things are not likely to stick to.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:28 AM
roman944
Drifting

hey Van, here's a shot, sunny, and car is looking pinkish? there are some parts where it's chipped, like bottom driver's side door's and quarter panel - right where they meet

in any case, here's a shot:

and here's Jess's R32 and mine, the only 2 cars there that were red

and the one I'm going to use as my avatar from now on:

so it came out really well compared to the first pic I posted

thanks!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:49 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by roman944
and the one I'm going to use as my avatar from now on:
I did some Photoshop Bodywork on your air dam. It was bothering me.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:27 PM
roman944
Drifting

lol Daryl, it was an honest mistake
my car stalled out, so I called my dad, he got behind the wheel of 944 (first, and so far the only time), and I drove the van

we were towing with a rope

making a turn, the rope caught on a wheel, strung up and ripped that bottom corner of the bumper - it was already messed up a little bit from a drive way too

during winter, I hope to get my hands on fiberglass hood/fenders/bumpers and get it painted around March/April - if all goes well!

that is a VERY nice touch up job though! lol
Old 09-01-2008, 02:41 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ugh...that sucks. These things are so hard to tow. I want one of those turbo eye hooks. Maybe I should put a tow point on my bumper now, as I'm getting ready to paint.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:36 PM
roman944
Drifting

lol

yeah it makes it TOTALLY worth it, I just don't know if one can be adapted to an N/A - shouldn't be that hard

I just saw that Fiberwerks is going to be raising it's prices, I hope I can atleast place an order for the bumper before Sept. 15th! I really like their bumper

Quick Reply: detailing ya porker