Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

automatic trans failure questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 04:01 PM
tjbarraford
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question automatic trans failure questions...

Yesterday afternoon on my way home I was accelerating to 30MPH in my 1987 Porsche 944 (base) when I heard or felt a slight thud and something let go. It was just like someone had put the tranny into nuetral. Now there is no action when I put the selector into drive or reverse or any other gear...

Before I get into the diagnostic questions I have I was wondering if early 944 transmission and differentails would work in my later 944????

Anyway, I am still trying to figure conclusively what the problem might be....I was able to see the torque converter spinning when I started the engine...That makes me believe the "damper" is connected and the torque tube shaft is engaged. I made sure the cable from selector lever to transmssion was connected and moving...

I took out a rubber plug and noted the flex plate is still bolted to the torque converter.

I was told that the problem could well be the pinion gear in the differential. The cause for this can be when people run the vehicle with a failed "damper" that is constantly going "thump-thump".

Is my diagnostic work so far correct in leading me to the tranny and/or differential?

If so, can anyone suggest the best way to determine if the pinion gear is shredded or the tranny shot?

I am going to drain the differential, and if I see a lot of metal that will be a good answer....

I appreciate any help you can offer.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I got 3 auto trannys sitting around and 2 still in the car. If you need one, I got one for you cheap especially if you are local.

Quick Reply: automatic trans failure questions...